13 Year Old Legs Giving Out, Draggin Behind

Guest PetersMom

Guest PetersMom

Hi everyone,

My parents have a 13 year old Greyhound who has been in generally good health his whole life but in the last few months has lost a lot of weight and started to have a hard time getting up and down.

This weekend, he didnt eat for like two days and then his back legs became so weak, he started dragging them behind him. He has a hard time laying down and getting up. He is really skin and bones, no matter what she tried to feed him. I know it just may be old age - 13 seems pretty old - but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. My Mom has no idea what it is and is of course scared that he will be suffering.

I dont have any experience with senior grey issues and common problems - our two greys are 4 years old.

Any ideas, suggestions etc? He is going to the vet today to see what is wrong.

Thanks!

Guest KennelMom

A couple things pop to mind - Lumbosacral Stenosis, Cancer, slipped disc/back injury. A vet trip is definitely in order, so I'm glad to read he's going in today. I hope they are able to get some answers. :getwell

Guest Winterwish

PetersMom I'm sorry to say it sounds very serious. There's a lot of possibilites of what it could be,the weight loss combined with pronounced weakness of the hind legs,getting up,and the symptoms he is having. Hopefully the vet will have a treatment plan that will help him a lot.

Keeping your folks grey in my prayers for wellness and comfort. :gh_child:hope

Guest greytexplorer

What's the 13yrold's grey's name? Please keep us posted on the outcome of the vet trip.

I'll be thinking of you all today, and hoping for good news! :hope

~Pat

Has he not seen a vet yet? If not, tell her to get him seen ASAP. Some rear-end problems are very treatable, but can worsen very quickly and become extremely serious if left. Chance are he is in a lot of pain and will at least need some pain meds. He needs evaluating.

Hopefully it's just old age plus arthritis but it could be a ruptured disc or lumbo-sacral stenosis or even a tumour on the spine. ]

Let us know how he does! Fingers crossed here! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytfulhounds

I agree with seeing a vet asap!! Sounds a lot like what my Joanie went through and she had LS. Sending hugs and prayers for your boy. :grouphug:hope

Guest sheila

also have the vet check his heart. It's my understanding that if the heart is not pumping the blood efficiently there could be some 'numbness' to the extremities which might explain some of the hind end weakness

Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest PetersMom

So to answer many of the helpful and kind posts on here....

His name is Fred. He was at the vet at 2:00 this afternoon and my parents were told his arthritis has progressed pretty badly. They gave him steriods (not sure on kind/dose etc) and not a very good prognosis. He is 13 years old, so my parents were expecting his health to decline at some point soon. He has had arthritis for a long time and with the weight loss they just assumed it was old age. He has always been in such good health - excited, happy and a good appetite.

Im not sure if my parents are up for acupuncture, or what long term care they are prepared for. I will leave that decision up to them - I know they wont let him suffer for one second more than they have to.

So I guess they will see what the steriod will do - the vet gave him 2 weeks to 2 months to live but hey, you just never can tell.

Thanks again for the posts - I just wanted to be sure that there wasnt something very obvious to all of you, that we were just overlooking.

I went through something similar with Phoenix, my senior girlie (almost 16 now) back in November. The vet suggested steriods, in case it was an inflammation of the spine. The steriods actually worked great, and was able to taper them off in Dec. and she's been fine since then. Appetite with these old guys can be challenging at best, trying to figure out what's appetizing at the moment. She's been on a pot roast with gravy kick for about a month, which is WONDERFUL. :) Sending lots of prayers to Fred and your folks for much more quality time with their beloved hound. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.