Urine Sample

Guest Redpack

Guest Redpack

I know this is probably a million places, but I'm not having luck finding them. Someone is peeing in the family room and since Diplomat has been hanging back on his walks, I suspect it is him. I want to get a specimen to take to the vet asap. Should I take samples from both dogs since I haven't really seen who is doing it?

Guest BlackandBrindle

You can get a sample from both.

Hold a clean pie pan underneath. First of the morning is the best I've been told.

Just to let you know though, infection/bacteria often don't show on a basic urinalysis. We recently found Sadie had a UTI (peeing in the house) but it only showed on a culture.

For Sadie, I had a specimen cup and just held it underneath her when she went to potty. With the boys that method is a little harder to do ;)

Guest greyladydown

My vet use a soup laddle to collect the urine. Works like a charm. For collecting urine for a culture, you'll need a sterile specimin and the vet will have to draw that out with a small needle.

You can get a sample from both.

Hold a clean pie pan underneath. First of the morning is the best I've been told.

Just to let you know though, infection/bacteria often don't show on a basic urinalysis. We recently found Sadie had a UTI (peeing in the house) but it only showed on a culture.

For Sadie, I had a specimen cup and just held it underneath her when she went to potty. With the boys that method is a little harder to do ;)

Reallly? I always thought it would be harder with the ladies. When Merlin had a UTI and I had to take a sample of his urine, I just held the cup (provided by the vet) under his penis and it was so easy. With the girls, I'd be concerned about spray, and how do you get under there?? Haha. They seem to pee so close to the ground :lol:rolleyes:

Can you tell I've never had a female dog? :lol

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Redpack

Thanks for the suggestions! Soup ladle sounds like a good idea. A Needle?!?! Yikes! Poor guy! I will ask for a culture. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to make him more comfortable? Having had UTI's I think they are the worst kind of torture!

Guest MnMDogs

I just cover my hand with a plastic bag, grab a plastic cup and follow the hound to the yard in the morning. When they start, I slip the cup under. They look a little confused, but keep on going.

I haven't had to collect a sample from my boy (knock on wood) but collecting from the girls is easy. The first time was with Sissy, and she would only pee on walks, so I had to follow her with a cup through the neighborhood and wait until she found the right spot. My neighbors are very entertained by me. :lol

I imagine with the boys, there's a higher chance of that stream going rogue... It'd be a bummer to misjudge where he's aimed. :rotfl

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest nerak254

One word: metal pie pan( the kind you are supposed to return to Bakers Sq). I agree that first thing in the morning is best, doesn't take as long. Walk nonchalantly behind said hound and when the correct spot is located and the act begins, slide that pan under the appropriate area and viola! A pan full of pee. :rolleyes:

After you've collected the pee take it right in to the vet. Do not refrigerate. I recently had to take Wally's sample in. Since I couldn't get to the vet's first thing in the morning, I was told a later sample would be OK but to bring it quickly.

Editing to add if it looks like this will be a challenge, please have someone take pictures. :P

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest paulamariez

Ha! I've done the plastic bag on my hand and big, old paper cup trick on my boys! Boy, do they hate seeing me coming at them with a big paper cup! They try to hold it in on me, but I always get some!

Guest sheila

For the boy I used a clean yogurt cup and capped it and was good to go. For the girl I used a foil pie pan and just folded it and poured it into a receptacle. I didn't bag my hands first. I just washed them when I was done.