Please Keep Pinky In Your Thoughts

I let the kids out last night after class as I was getting ready to head to the kennel to do turnout. I stepped back into the kitchen for a minute and the dogs were playing outside, nothing unusual. Then I heard Pinky yelp. I went out onto the porch and see Pinky holding up her front leg.

I figured she'd lost another toenail (it's been happening again every now and again) so I pulled her into the screen porch to have a look at her. I discovered a laceration on the back of her front leg, about 2 inches long, it was like her hair had just been completely shaved off. I could see her muscle through the paper thin membrane of skin that remained...part of me wanted to just bandage her and keep an eye on it, so I came inside to get my bandaging supplies. By the time I got back to the porch (all of 45 seconds maybe) she had blood running down her leg, so I made the decision to take her to the ER.

I'm glad I did, because she had little bits of wood debris in the wound and it took them a good hour and a half to clean and debride the wound and get her stitched up (thankfully the "shaved off" skin was still attached). My poor little baby. A small branch/stick had fallen out of the tree, and when the dogs started playing and running around, she must have run into it.

She's getting tramadol for pain and she's on antibiotics. This is one little girl that never makes a PEEP in the house - she never whines or begs like the others, and since she's been hurt she's very good about telling me if she's hurting by whining and getting my attention.

She is in good spirits today though she has to be muzzled when I'm not home. She's been eating and taking her medicine like a good little girl, and she's resting comfortably on the couch. Ace even gave up her spot in bed for her last night :)

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sending prayers and light to Pinky for quick healing of her boo boo. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Pinky is doing really well today, she slept well last night and, aside from seeming a little more tired than usual (hauling that leg around is hard work!) she is doing just great. Tomorrow after work I will take her bandage off and clean the area and will likely rebandage it lightly as she has a tendency to pick at things when they're "open." As long as it's covered with SOMETHING she will leave it alone.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I am happy yo hear that Pinky is starting to feel better, bless her heart.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Oh poor baby. Feel better soon honey. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I changed Pinky's bandage just a little bit ago, it looks like she's healing very nicely. We had a little bit of blood from around a couple of her stitches but nothing out of the ordinary. The way the evet had wrapped her up was starting to make her uncomfortable...she seems to be much more comfy now.

She has a LOT of stitches, probably 12-15. Cruddy thing is they're black and she's a blackish dog so it should be exciting when it's time to take those out (actually it shouldn't be too bad because I'll be able to feel them).

She is still holding the leg up and not walking on it at all...I know she CAN bear weight on it because I made her come over to me and I picked up her good front leg and she stood on the injured leg without complaint. Maybe it just feels weird to walk on it?

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I would keep an eye on it as you are doing ... but, FWIW, Zema had a long shallow laceration on her leg a couple years ago. 20-30 staples. She mostly wouldn't use the leg until the staples came out, and used it only intermittently for a few weeks after. It just felt funny to her is all I could figure.

Hope your girlie heals up quickly and well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytexplorer

It's the skin pulling on those stitches/staples that feels very uncomfortable.

Has it been a week now? How is Pinky doing? Stitches out?

kisses to Pinky!