Belle Had Another Seizure

around 7:15 this am Belle had another seizure, this one was very mild. All three of her seizures are happening in her sleep, two in the am and one around 9 pm (March 1). She did wet in her crate this time and very scared after her post seizure with tail very tightly tucked. Her legs were stiff with twitching in her body. Both seizure and post seizure lasted about 1 minute. Have called vet's office and am waiting to see what her vet wants to do. They do not think she will have to be seen yet and they are noting this on her chart.

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Poor Belle, Saint is really confused after his seizures also. Have they started her on meds yet?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Poor Belle, Saint is really confused after his seizures also. Have they started her on meds yet?

No she is still in a wait and see. Her first one was about a year ago, then one on March 1 and now this one. He told me to watch her for a pattern. This one was very mild compared to the other two. The first one was the worst. I understand that they do not medicate them unless there is 3 or more a month or if they come in clusters. I am so thankful that she was in her crate so the other hounds could not get to her to hurt her what is so weird is that they have only happened while she is sleeping.

Guest EmilyAnne

I wouldn't go by just frequency of seizures alone, but by severity as well. If they are fairly mild, I think one a month is ok. If they are outrageously severe, I think any more than once every 4 months is too often. You're her Mama, you have the best feel for wether or not she needs to be medicated. I want to tell you though, don't be scared ff by side effects of the meds. They are at their worst in the beginning, and as the medicine reaches better effectiveness at controlling seizures, the side effects fade.

Her first seizure was very bad and they did have her on phenobarital for about two weeks and then took her off. Wanted to take her off cold turkey but I got upset and he had her on 325mg 2/day to get her off of the mega dose. Compared to the last two it was the worse as she was in the seizure a good 15 min. post seizure another 15 min and was lethagic after wards for at least another half hour. She could not do the stairs and had to be carried down. What is so strange they all have occurred whiled she was sleeping. Nothing new or different had been given to her. A new kong which we got her about two weeks ago, food, treats she has had before. I am thankful that she was crated when this happened as the other houndies heard her and went flying to the crate. I have a feeling they might of hurt her if she was not crated. AS mild as this seizure was I am willing to wait and see what the pattern is.

No I had not seen that thread but come to think of it she had that first one 11 to 12 months ago, the second one March first and today the third one. I wonder if it is spring related? I do not know if she had one at the training farm in OK or the kennel in Jax but I know up until she was 1 year old there were none. I did contact one of her siblings' mom and she has had no problem and two other siblings parents I e-mailed but the did not respond.

Guest EmilyAnne
Just pottied the hounds - Belle is put out by her self and busted her eating a meal of dirt. She was going to town and having a feast.

Henry is always pretty hungry after a seizure. Did you give her a snack after her seizure this morning? Seizures burn up a lot of calories. I give Henry half a meal after a seizure.

Sending my many prayers and chanting no more seizures. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Just pottied the hounds - Belle is put out by her self and busted her eating a meal of dirt. She was going to town and having a feast.

Henry is always pretty hungry after a seizure. Did you give her a snack after her seizure this morning? Seizures burn up a lot of calories. I give Henry half a meal after a seizure.

She had breakfast which was about 2 cups of food - dry, a dab of canned, about an ounce of water and a dollop of vanilla yogurt. Which is a normal breakfast for her. She was also drinking a lot of water. We still have to watch for a pattern before the vet medicates her

Edited by 6greyhounds

Belle ate her dinner with no problems but around 4 pm when I let her out to potty caught her having a feast eating dirt. Does anyone have any ideas about this. Could she be having seizures from eating dirt. I am honestly thinking of getting her heart worm tested even tho since I have had her she has been on monthly heart worm med. Oh she will be 4 on the 4th and we got her in January before she turned 2

Guest EmilyAnne

This leads me to wonder if she is missing out on a nutrient and is looking for it from the dirt? Have you thought about taking her to a vet that practices complimentary medicine and knows a lot about supplements as opposed to the usual vet who rarely knows anything about supplements? It could be taurine, it could be vitamin B, who knows, but if you try to just supplement without researching, you could do more damage than good so do be careful about the supplementing.