When To Remove A Toe

Gracie has an outer toe on her rear foot that she keeps cutting. We think it's caused by her running into the house and either clipping the patio edge or the one step up from the garage to the house.

She gashed it a few weeks ago, not deep but open. This is on the furry part. I put antibiotic ointment on and wrapped it. Very little blood oozed when it happened. It had completely healed.

Monday she whacked it open again, blood everywhere, exact same location that had healed.

Regular vet was closed so we tried a different vet. It was shaved, cleaned, 2 staples put in. We were to removed the bandage the next day. There was no sign of swelling. A few hours later I noticed one of the staples was partway out. Put a baby sock on and secured it with vet wrap.

When we get home today the sock is off and the loose staple is out (found it on the dog bed).

The remaining staple looks to be securely in place. It is at the lower end of the cut. Above it, where the other staple used to be, the tissue has parted very slightly but is not oozing. The sock and wrap are back on.

Tried to get pictures but didn't realize they were blurry until I had wrapped her up.

Except for one dash we've kept her from running around.

There is no sign of infection. I've got some antibiotics from a previous boo boo that I'm giving her.

At what point do we say the toe should be removed? I don't want her to go through an unneccessary procedure. She's also about due for her dental and I worry if we do that and the toe at the same time will she have been under anesthesia to long?

I plan to take her to our regular vet tomorrow.

Since Gracie tolerated getting the initial 2 stitches without flinching, should I ask them to put stitches in instead? Would that be as easy for her to tolerate as the staples without anesthesia?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Staples would probably be easier.

I would keep it wrapped, if you can keep the bandage dry.

I would probably also wrap it -- or at least put a padded baby sock on it -- for a good couple weeks after the staple comes out. Give it a chance to toughen up before it's exposed to hazards.

And I would probably try to find the hazard and pad/eliminate it.

If she isn't having recurring infection, I wouldn't think about removing the toe at this point. For one thing, if you remove that toe, it may be the next toe along that is then exposed to whatever the problem is .....

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is the laceration occurring around a joint on the toe? I've seen this happen where the joint luxates and this pressure actually creates a laceration (the last one I saw occurred on the lateral aspect of the toe on the outside of the foot). The best treatment option for these cases generally is amputation b/c that is a tough joint to stabilize surgically.

This may not be what is going on here... hard to say but may be worth running past your vet since they have seen your GH.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest EmbersDad

ember had cut her toe last summer. it would heal, then burst open, heal and then burst open. this happened about 5 times. me and my vet decided that amputation would be her best bet. its been about a month, maybe a wee bit more, and you cant even tell she is missing the toe. the biopsy report came back stating there was a deep infection in the tissue, thats whey it would keep bursting. the top would heal, but it would continue to fester underneath until it would pop.

Guest KennelMom

We have been dealing with a similar issue in Rocky. Wound on an outer toe that heals/comes back, heals/comes back. Have done antibiotics and it *just* came back again. Ugh.

Is the laceration occurring around a joint on the toe? I've seen this happen where the joint luxates and this pressure actually creates a laceration (the last one I saw occurred on the lateral aspect of the toe on the outside of the foot). The best treatment option for these cases generally is amputation b/c that is a tough joint to stabilize surgically.

Our vet suggested this as a possiblity when we took him in. I opted not to do xrays at that time b/c there was NEVER any swelling (original injury occured as a blown pad from lure coursing). I really just thought it was a cut with infection. After talking to some other (lure coursing) folks and reading your post, I'm thinking otherwise now :( He's off to the vet next week to have it dealt with...again. I'm hoping we don't have to amputate but there's definitely more going on than just a superficial cut.

We have been dealing with a similar issue in Rocky. Wound on an outer toe that heals/comes back, heals/comes back. Have done antibiotics and it *just* came back again. Ugh.

Our vet suggested this as a possiblity when we took him in. I opted not to do xrays at that time b/c there was NEVER any swelling (original injury occured as a blown pad from lure coursing). I really just thought it was a cut with infection. After talking to some other (lure coursing) folks and reading your post, I'm thinking otherwise now :( He's off to the vet next week to have it dealt with...again. I'm hoping we don't have to amputate but there's definitely more going on than just a superficial cut.

We are going through a similar issue with pepper.two different types of antibiotics,its fine all the while peps on antibiotics,but flares up again when he is off them.so we decided with the vet to open up the infected pad and take a look,but the infection was too bad so amputation was the only option.pepper`s toe was removed some nine days ago and he has the dressing changed three times,and he has had to be sedated every time,hopefully the dressing will come off for the last time monday.goodluck hope he /she does`nt need surgery.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

Like you mentioned, you have to decide if it's worth it to remove the toe, given the risks with anesthesia. However, as far as the missing toe goes, Speck has been missing a toe since before he came home to me 5+ years ago and I can assure you, he's never truly "missed" it.

Good luck in your decision and hugs to Gracie!

Guest sheila

I can't advise about whether you should/shouldn't have the toe removed. I can tell you that my Kiowa had a outer toe on a rear leg and you would never know it unless you looked.

I can also say that my Natasha had a dental and a lump removed at the same time with no ill effects from the anesthesia. I'm not sure if removing a toe would be any longer than a lump removal. I would think though that both procedures could be performed at the same time though.

The toe gets to stay.

Dr Feeman, the gash is right along the joint, upper outer side of that right rear foot.

Other than one staple coming out, the tissue looked good today. My vet cleaned it, put some powder on it, and re-wrapped it. We are to return Tuesday to have the dressing removed and I am to continue with the Cephalexin.

I guess Gracie wanted professional treatment. She didn't like my wrapping her with a baby sock and vet wrap. <_< She hasn't even tried to lick the adhesive wrap the vet put on today. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png