Alex Update

Guest CyndiW

Alex! :wub: It's wonderful how he just takes each day, each moment as it comes, happy or not so much, then on to the next thing. There's a good lesson there for us all!

Good luck with this round of treatment, and a good summer as a family ahead of you!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Alex! :wub: It's wonderful how he just takes each day, each moment as it comes, happy or not so much, then on to the next thing. There's a good lesson there for us all!

Good luck with this round of treatment, and a good summer as a family ahead of you!!

I couldn't have said it better. My thoughts and prayers are added to everyone's for your sweet Alex. He sounds like a real trooper.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CyndiW

Alex is dehydrated and will not eat or drink (since Thursday morning) so he had to be admitted today for supportive care (fluids and lots of stomach meds). The black, tarry stools (another post) are now more like black motor oil. They will more than likely do an ultrasound tomorrow to see if the intestinal or gastric bleeding is from the cancer itself or if we can rule that out and assume gastric ulcers. We had to stop the pred "cold turkey" on Wednesday because of the black, tarry stools and that is when the appetite just disappeared overnight. Since he only eats/drinks when on 30mg of pred daily, not sure what the plan will be if he can no longer have pred.

He is scheduled to get CCNU on Wednesday. All of his bloodwork was normal but I am not sure if he will still be able to get it with the other stuff going on. His spirits are high and he acts like nothing is wrong. Even before we left for the center, he was in the kitchen wanting food. He just doesn't want the many, many different things that I offer him. He gets excited about eating but then takes one look/smell and it is all over. Our favorite tech is working today and tomorrow. She said he stood up and wagged his tail when she got to work this afternoon. I love this boy so much!

Keeping Alex in our prayers. Will light a very special candle for him at mass tonight. It will be the same priest there tonight that offered a mass for Snowy. It's the church of St Francis so they love animals there.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Alex is dehydrated and will not eat or drink (since Thursday morning) so he had to be admitted today for supportive care (fluids and lots of stomach meds). The black, tarry stools (another post) are now more like black motor oil. They will more than likely do an ultrasound tomorrow to see if the intestinal or gastric bleeding is from the cancer itself or if we can rule that out and assume gastric ulcers. We had to stop the pred "cold turkey" on Wednesday because of the black, tarry stools and that is when the appetite just disappeared overnight. Since he only eats/drinks when on 30mg of pred daily, not sure what the plan will be if he can no longer have pred.

He is scheduled to get CCNU on Wednesday. All of his bloodwork was normal but I am not sure if he will still be able to get it with the other stuff going on. His spirits are high and he acts like nothing is wrong. Even before we left for the center, he was in the kitchen wanting food. He just doesn't want the many, many different things that I offer him. He gets excited about eating but then takes one look/smell and it is all over. Our favorite tech is working today and tomorrow. She said he stood up and wagged his tail when she got to work this afternoon. I love this boy so much!

When Angel LaceyLaine was going through chemo for lymphoma, Onc gave us Remeron after she stopped eating after CCNU. The CCNU sent her liver values through the sky. The Remeron worked for some time...really spiked her appetite. You might want to ask if you can get it. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest CyndiW

"Anecdotal evidence also suggests that mirtazapine may be effective in treating certain vomiting or anorexia-related conditions in dogs and cats."

Just looked up Remeron and it definitely looks promising for Alex. I am getting so desperate to get him to eat. I will certainly be asking about this tonight when I call for the next update. If he would only eat, he would have so much more to fight the cancer with.

Guest KRKWMU

I'm so sorry, Cyndi. :( I hate to read that Alex is having such a hard time. We'll be thinking about him (and you). Hang in there. I'm sure the vet has some different medications that will help get him back on track. Update us when you can. :goodluck

We use Remeron for people as an anti-depressant and side effects can be increased appetite. If that helps dogs, I wonder if Megace will help even more. We use Megace for end stage Aids, cancer,alzheimers,and even parkinsons to increase appetite. Might be worth asking about.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Guest CyndiW

Alex came home last night. He still has blood (digested) in his stools. The internist said it is hard to tell if it is the high dose of pred that caused it or the cancer itself or possibly both. She did not want to do an ultrasound because she said it wouldn't give her any new info. I would have really liked to know how big the tumor is at this point and if it is causing him to not eat or if it is just the chemo making him not want to eat. His CBC was a little low so we re-check tomorrow and hopefully if it is high enough, he still gets chemo this week. She thinks it is the pred but she said if it was the cancer then he was losing the battle.

I go to the grocery everyday and wonder around brainstorming. He is eating baby carrots and a few green beans and a small amount of yogurt. He also ate 2 slices of cheese this afternoon and some cantaloupe. Strange diet I know (and not many calories unfortunately) but he will not touch any meat products or peanut butter. With his esophagus motility problems, I am shocked at what he is able to eat these days. He really takes his time and chews up the baby carrots. The tech discovered that he would and could eat those. They used to be one of his favorite foods but after last August and the corn cob incident, I haven't offered him any afraid he would choke. He was begging her for some of her lunch on Sunday and so she offered him one and to her surprise he loved it (and 5 more).

His attitude and spirit still remain very good. He is extremely alert and active with all things considered. I am going to cuddle on the couch with him tonight and watch a movie hoping all that love will raise his CBC and increase his appetite. Ha!

Please give Alex a very big hug from us here in the desert. We'll keep the candles lit and the prayers coming.And take care of yourself as well........

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Love to raise his CBC and appetite! Sounds like a good chant to me! :)

*Love will raise Alex's CBC and appetite! Love will raise Alex's CBC and appetite! Love will raise Alex's CBC and appetite! Love will raise Alex's CBC and appetite!*

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Alex. I usually suggest mashed potatoes because it has worked for us with several dogs who didn't want to eat. It might be soothing for Alex's throat but filling as well. You could mix some cooked carrots in with the potatoes or whatever may appeal to him. I've also been giving Hobbes some cooked ditalini (small round macaroni) mixed with yogurt for a snack. Very smooth going down and easy to swallow. It's so worrisome when there is no appetite. Maybe these suggestions will be helpful.

Enjoy the snuggle on the couch with Alex.

edited because I can't spell in the evening!!!

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy