Empty Stomach Syndrome

Guest GreyDogsRule

Guest GreyDogsRule

I was just wondering if anyone has experience with what I have been told to be "empty stomach syndrome." I have had two hounds over the years that get this condition. My little Sasha girl's tummy will start making the loudest gurgling sounds I have ever heard. They are loud enough to wake DW and I from a sound sleep. When breakfast time comes, she won't eat and I am not sure how best to handle it. What I do now is try to get her to eat a treat of some sort because if I can get her to eat something, the sounds will stop and she will soon be ready to eat a normal meal. I feed her every 12 hours to try and minimize the chances of this happening.

Guest Jennifer4719

That sometimes happens to Xena. She won't eat her breakfast and then she comes and lays in the bed with me and I hear all the rumbling. I can eventually get her to eat something, like a piece of bread or a treat, then she will usually eat her breakfast and the rumbling stops.

Guest jonah305

Our Sammie does this from time to time. I can hear her stomach from the other side of the house! We've found that the best thing to do is take her outside and let her eat as much grass as she wants. She'll eat lots of it when her stomach is upset. Usually her stomach will settle in a few hours and by dinner time she's ready to eat again. She might vomit the grass out but that's ok because it usually comes out in one little pile and is not too messy to clean up.

Guest HeatherDemps

This sounds like my italian greyhound, except he will also throw up bile when it gets really bad. I find that making sure I stick to his regular feeding schedule is really important- the nights where he gets dinner later than usual typically results in problems the next day. I also give him Pepcid every morning and that seems to help.