Neck “thickness”

Guest neenieca

Guest neenieca

DH and I have noticed a “thickness” on Penny’s neck recently. It’s not a lump, just a general “padding” across her neck, just below where her tag collar sits. (This is the top, furry side of her neck, just above her shoulders.) What could this be? Fat? Muscle?

My first thought was fat, though I can still see her last few ribs and don’t consider her overweight. We’ve fed her raw for 6 months, and lamb is one of the main ingredients in her diet. We cut as much fat off of it as we can, but could the lamb somehow be the culprit?

We've also started letting her up on the bed with us. Could jumping up somehow have built up muscles in her neck? (That sounds a little dumb, but it's one of the only other changes in her life right now, so I'm throwing it out there.)

Or, is this something that dogs can get as they get older? Penny just turned 7.

Has anyone see this before? I'm stumped.

Grace has a bit of a "waddle" that I notice when she is trotting....kind just swings ever so slightly. This is post attack, so for Grace it might be related to her injury. I never thought twice about it as it just seems to be kind of loose skin on her. Vet was not worried either. :dunno

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Probably fat. I noticed it last night on a greyhound I'm dog sitting. She's not horribly overweight, but could stand to lose a few pounds. She has mobility issues though, so she can't get as much exercise as she used to - she's also 7. BTW, don't judge by ribs - they're not a good indicator of proper weight. Better to use the tips of the hipbones. If they're visible, you're good, if they're not and your hound has a rounded rump appearance, time to take some weight off :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Grace has a bit of a "waddle" that I notice when she is trotting....kind just swings ever so slightly. This is post attack, so for Grace it might be related to her injury. I never thought twice about it as it just seems to be kind of loose skin on her. Vet was not worried either. :dunno

A waddle! Reminds me of Ally McBeal. :lol:lol

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

A waddle! Reminds me of Ally McBeal. :lol:lol

:rofl:lol

She's still got a butt you could bounce a quarter off of, and you can see her hipbones so she's not "fat". She's only 3 lbs above her racing weight. She just has a turkey neck. Oh well, I love her just the same!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest Speedhoundz

Kane has a thick neck, too, but he's had it ever since I adopted him in October (he's 5). He's not at all overweight; I just thought it was extra skin. I can gently pinch it and it does not flatten back to normal quickly, although he's not dehydrated--the boy is like a fish the way he drinks water. As long as it's not bumpy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Kane has a thick neck, too, but he's had it ever since I adopted him in October (he's 5). He's not at all overweight; I just thought it was extra skin. I can gently pinch it and it does not flatten back to normal quickly, although he's not dehydrated--the boy is like a fish the way he drinks water. As long as it's not bumpy, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That is a SERIOUSLY cool signature! Did you do it yourself?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest trevdog

I believe it's just part of the aging process. My boys have all had them as they've gotten older and they are/were pretty active. Ossie who will be 8 next week is just developing it, even though he's still pretty slender, Jam and Trevor also had them as they got older.

I'll add, too - I've seen some male greyhounds with massive neck muscles. I bet that once they lose some of that muscle, you'd see fleshy overhangs :lol So, OK, maybe not fat :D

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest neenieca

Thanks, all, for the input. You know, we can still feel Penny's hip bones, but not as much as I'd like, so I think we'll start feeding her a bit less and see what happens. I'm glad to hear she's not alone, though!