Vet Visit Scheduled For Casey

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

I am (and will be) a bundle of nerves until Casey is seen by the vet on Friday. He hasn't been walking right again. I took him in a few months ago b/c he looked like his gait wasn't right but I couldn't figure out which leg was bothering him. After an exam, the vet said that she thought that it was arthritis in his spine (he just turned 8 last month). I put him on arthritis meds and he seemed better but now he is worse again. I talked to the vet the other day and she said that it could be arthritis or possibly lumbar stenosis. He is scheduled for an exam and x-rays. I am really nervous about having the x-rays done b/c Casey is deathly afraid of noises and I'm not sure how much noise the x-ray machine will make. Please keep good thoughts for Casey.

Guest houndlover
I am (and will be) a bundle of nerves until Casey is seen by the vet on Friday. He hasn't been walking right again. I took him in a few months ago b/c he looked like his gait wasn't right but I couldn't figure out which leg was bothering him. After an exam, the vet said that she thought that it was arthritis in his spine (he just turned 8 last month). I put him on arthritis meds and he seemed better but now he is worse again. I talked to the vet the other day and she said that it could be arthritis or possibly lumbar stenosis. He is scheduled for an exam and x-rays. I am really nervous about having the x-rays done b/c Casey is deathly afraid of noises and I'm not sure how much noise the x-ray machine will make. Please keep good thoughts for Casey.

UPDATE.....I took Casey for his appt today and they took x-rays of his spine (neck to tail). There were several spots that seemed painful to him when the vet did her exam but after looking at the x-rays there is one spot near his rear legs that showed some arthritis. He will continue with the arthramine and the vet put him on Rimadyl for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. I am not at all crazy about using Rimadyl long term b/c I know that it can have some awful side effects so if anyone has any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Casey will go back in a couple of weeks to have his nails trimmed and I will let them know if the Rimadyl is working or not. We ruled out lyme disease and the vet said that it is possible that his problems could be neurological but she would like to see if the Rimadyl does the trick before we do more testing.

Thanks for the good thoughts!

If he has arthritis, he should be on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement of some kind. You might want to start with Greyhound Gang's Get Up and Go or Springtime's Joint Health. Sugar has some spine issues, along with arthritis, and she has been on Metacam long term, it is supposed to be not as hard on the liver. She has moved on to more serious stuff, but she is 12 :)

Guest houndlover
If he has arthritis, he should be on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement of some kind. You might want to start with Greyhound Gang's Get Up and Go or Springtime's Joint Health. Sugar has some spine issues, along with arthritis, and she has been on Metacam long term, it is supposed to be not as hard on the liver. She has moved on to more serious stuff, but she is 12 :)

Oops...I forgot to mention that he is on glucosamine and the vet said to continue that along with the Rimadyl. I will have to check into the Metacam and see if that might be a better option for Casey. Thanks!

When our senior grey had arthritis, we gave Syn-Flex original for pets. The results for her were amazing. It is a liquid which is more readily absorbed than tablet form and we gave it at night in about two ounces of yogurt. She would certainly let me know if I was late on occassion with her yogurt...lol. After a while I even took a dose with her as it is for people and humans and I tell you....I stopped getting out of bed in the morning with achy joints.

Here is where I got mine from, but you might want to check out some other sites. A couple of years ago they were cheaper than anyone, but the prices jumped last year when I no longer needed it so I never bothered to look further.

http://www.earlstation.com/es_info_page_synflex.html