Greyhound Neck Pain

Guest Merrygohounds

Guest Merrygohounds

Both of my male greyhounds have recentlyl had neck pain. My 12 year old had a visit to the vet yesterday due to the fack that his neck was hurting so bad he couldnt get up. He is on Prednisone now and doing better today.

I was wondering if this is a common problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Maybe its due to the funny sleeping positions?

Shadow has had neck pain in the past. Vet says it is common with sight hounds, due to long neck. He was given an injection of Metacam and some follow-up pills. Greys are quick to let you know they aren't felling up to par - they are athletes you know

Roin, Judy, and, Shadow.

Guest Celestes_Dad

Yeah our vet said it was common too.. nicknamed "greyhound neck".. They advised us to switch froma collar to a harness so no pressure from the lead would be on Celeste's neck while we were walking..

Aladdin has sprang his neck in the past. But he is our gymnastic greyhound that is very daring!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

The ABSOLUTE BEST pain control I have been able to find is Acupuncture. Yes, Acupuncture. I found a traditionally trained vet who had also trained in acupuncture and herbal medicine. Her specialty is cancer pain in small animals.

She has turned around my sixteen year old Maltese in less than six months; I took him to his regular vet this week and she was ASTONISHED. She told me she was sure he didn't have a month left to live and he is now back to his bouncing, grumpy, 16 year old self -- WITHOUT steroids, anti-inflammatory and all the stomach problems that went with them. He has a old and severe back injury and chronic arthritis and he manages on acupuncture every other week and a baby aspirin a day.

It's been an incredible, amazing find. It's brought my faithful and elderly friend not just back to life, but back to a quality of life that steroids and other traditional medication just could not mange.

I was a real hard sell for this idea, and frankly didn't even try it until he was at death's door and now I can't forgive myself for having waited so long.

Ask your traditional vet for a referral to a vet that specializes in physical therapy and alternative medicine (they frequently practice traditional veterinary medicine in these types of clinics as well)

MANY vet schools that teach acupuncture use Greys for the ease of their anatomical access points -- so you're ahead there, too!

Edited by Moclips

I've had numerous greys with neck issues resolved by chiropractic and/or acupuncture. On rare occassions we have had to use pred.

Certified in your area:

Kimberly Josey DC Charlotte NC 704-321-1859

KIM HOMBS , DVM BS

ATRIUM ANIMAL HOSPITAL

6520 MCMAHON DR

CHARLOTTE , NC 28226

Phone: 704-542-2000

Fax: 704-543-8455

Modalities Practiced: (Modality Quick Reference)

AC AC(IVAS) AC(CHI) ACSU AK BF CH CR CN CM EAV NU MA REIKI VOM TUI-NA

Practice Preferences:

SMALL ANIMAL

www.atriumanimalhospital.com

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

A couple of my guys have had neck issues, my little female does now.Acupuncture is a big help and my vet has me massage the neck with Traumeel which is also a big help. And walking only with a harness so there's no stress on the neck.Tramadol is also on hand at all times.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Merrygohounds
I've had numerous greys with neck issues resolved by chiropractic and/or acupuncture. On rare occassions we have had to use pred.

Certified in your area:

Kimberly Josey DC Charlotte NC 704-321-1859

KIM HOMBS , DVM BS

ATRIUM ANIMAL HOSPITAL

6520 MCMAHON DR

CHARLOTTE , NC 28226

Phone: 704-542-2000

Fax: 704-543-8455

Modalities Practiced: (Modality Quick Reference)

AC AC(IVAS) AC(CHI) ACSU AK BF CH CR CN CM EAV NU MA REIKI VOM TUI-NA

Practice Preferences:

SMALL ANIMAL

www.atriumanimalhospital.com

THANK YOU, I know Dr Hombs at Atrium. I will talk to them about this. Reggie is doing fine today. Thank you

Debbie

OH, My vet also recomended using a harness instead of a collar.

Thanks again everyone !!

Debbie

Lou just had this issue the other day. His neck goes out every couple of months. Don't know how it happens, but when it happens it hurts. I have pills at home for him and they calm things down.

We use a harness instread of collar.