Heartworm Schedule

I know you are supposed to give it once a month..but I thought I read that one pill actually protects the dogs 14 days longer. So..would it be harmful to give it every 40 days instead of 30...just to make the prescription last longer and save a little money. I did this the last couple months and was sure to mark it on my calender..but just want to be sure I am not risking my dogs getting heartworm.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I've heard every 40-45 days, but that 30 days is easier to remember so that's why most people give them once a month.

We don't do heartworm in the winter here. Only warmer months.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

We do heartworm year round and we just mark the calendar. I think I have heard too you can give it every 45 days.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

We do 40 days during the season, not to save money, but with a seizure dog, I don't like to over medicate him with stuff if we don't have to.

We'll be starting again next month until we leave in May and then we are done with flea/tick and heartworm while we are in Kodiak :)

Guest longdogs

There are several different drugs used for heartworm and some have smaller 'windows' than others. Personally, I'd rather save by using a cheaper brand (generic) at the recommended intervals rather than stretch out the interval. I believe ivermectin based treatments give you the most latitude, although you also can buy non-ivermectin treatments that work on a six week cycle. Last time I looked it didn't work out cheaper than generic ivermectin.