Massive Diarrhea

Sometime during the night the cats must've opened the kitchen cabinet & knocked out a 2-1/2 lb bag of mixed dried fruit (and a 1/3-full box of entenmanns small chocolate chip cookies). I found the empty packages on the floor when I got up this morning, along with a couple of soft poops. Henderson was in my nephew's bedroom all night, so he's not involved, for once. The total chocolate in the cookies wouldn't amount to too much, but it's all that fruit that scares me.

I came out of the shower to find the entire living room floor covered in diarrhea. It ranged from almost normal consistency to dark brown liq. goo with whole pieces of dried fruit in it. (sorry for being gross). I think it's mostly Stephanie's - she seems a little "off", whereas Bama seems like his usual self, but I think it's partially him, too. I'll have to watch them to see who does what.

There were no grapes or raisins in the bag - it was apples, peaches, mangoes, apricots, PRUNES, and maybe a couple of others. Once it's out of their systems, they should be ok, shouldn't they? I will keep them hydrated, but not give any food today....

Should I give them some pepto, or some pepcid? Should I give them some pedialyte? Should I call the vet? I'm thinking that a vet visit isn't really necessary - just let them poop it all out, try to not stimulate their GI tracts any further with more food just yet, and keep them hydrated. But am I not thinking of something? None of the fruits in the mix are toxic to dogs, are they?

I feel awful that this happened...I guess I'll have to get safety locks for the food cabinets. I have velcro inside the doors now to hold them closed; you have to pull a little to get them opened. But I guess it wasn't tight enough to stop a determined cat.

Edited by tamborine

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just let it run it's course. That's a whole lot of fiber they've ingested plus the cookies so the output is going to be plentiful, often, and gross. We've been there.

These things happen, don't beat yourself up over it. I don't have cats but have determined greyhounds, so I know the feeling all too well.

Hope they feel better soon. And again, I wouldn't give them anything for it, just make sure they have plenty of water. :)

Prunes are just dried plums, so they should be fine. If they still have diarrhea tomorrow, I'd give them something for their stomachs, but for now, I'd just let them be.

It's probably just the sheer volume of what they ate, and I'm not sure what you can do at this point other than let it work it's way through. As with any diarrhea, withhold food for 12-24 hours, and make sure they are drinking enough water so they don't get dehydrated.

Thanks for the replies! Apparently it was just Stephanie who ate most of it. Bama might've gotten a piece or two, but doesn't seem to have diarrhea. I can't imagine how rotten I'd feel after eating 2-1/2 lbs of dried fruit!! She's drinking water every so often, and basically just laying around (in between poops), but doesn't seem to be in pain or great discomfort. My poor Stephie girl! :(

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Over the past half hour she's vomited 3 times - just huge quantities of reconstituted dried fruit. The volume of each incidence looked to be about a quart, or a large bowlful. By the looks of what came out (of both ends!) the fruit should be pretty much out of her now, I hope. To top it all off, she was trying to re-eat what she puked out, so she can't feel THAT bad. :sick

wow, that would freak me out...did you at least call your vet? I think I probably would...it would just make me too nervous.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

wow, that would freak me out...did you at least call your vet? I think I probably would...it would just make me too nervous.

I had my finger ready to dial the vet if necessary (still do)...

But since I posted 20 minutes ago, she's back to her old self, running back & forth, wrestling with Henderson, jumping on & off the bed & couch, and just generally being Stephanie. :)

Guest BlackandBrindle

If you don't think she's drinking enough water to stay hydrated, you can a little chicken broth to her water to encourage it.

Don't let her eat the vomit (mine do that too). It's just a dog thing I guess :rolleyes:

If she's playing with Henderson she can't feel that bad ;) You might want to call the vet just in case (I always do) but most likely the worst has passed. (sorry, no pun intended)

Guest Winterwish
To top it all off, she was trying to re-eat what she puked out, so she can't feel THAT bad. :sick

Just want to mention I don't think that's a sign of her not feeling bad tho'. That's really important to know.

Not to sound extreme,but even when a dog is literally deathly ill,they will do that.

I'd have called the vet too for this reason- in case of bloat from such a gasey kind of food. Dried fruit is super gasey as a food. Just saying that because a vet call is always best,I thought they had been called,I'msorry.

I would think 5mg.of pepcid would probably feel really good to her actually. and maybe a repeat dose tonite.

Bloat has occurred to me and I'm keeping a close watch on her and Bama, too, for that matter. Most of the fruit came out back undigested, so I think it didn't produce as much gas as it could have had it started to break down. Now is probably a little late to call the vet :blush since she's basically acting fine and all the fruit has pretty much been accounted for. All they could do is say keep monitoring her (and yell at me for not calling earlier today! :rolleyes: ).

No way did I let her get any of her regurgitated fruit!! I'm going to give her a pepcid now, and later on tonight, maybe 9 or 10 I'll try giving her a little of something light to eat or some broth if there's no more vomiting/diarrhea (there hasn't been anything else since her 3 gigantic pukes 2 hours ago). She's been drinking water ok throughout (not TOO much, though).

This weekend's project is going to be cat-proofing the kitchen cabinets!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Target sells great (and cheap!) child locks. I occasionally break one and just replace it. Haven't been through the entire box yet.

Did I mention that we also changed the pantry door knob to one that locks? :lol: We also have toddler locks on all the doors that lead outside... told ya, I've so been there ;)

Glad she's feeling better!

Guest kimberllee

Can I just say - yuck?! Sympathy to Mom who had to clean up all the mess! :inlove And scritches to the unwell girl. Sounds like you've got everything under control. Hang in there!