Hi From Gainesville, Florida!

Hello everyone! I just found GreyTalk while surfing the internet. My husband and adopted our first retired racing greyhound, Toby. a couple of months ago.

Toby came to us straight from the Derby Lane GPA Kennel in St. Petersburg, FL.

We have an almost-11 year old whippet, and before the whippet we had an italian greyhound, who died of old age. So you can see we've always loved this style of dog. Last November, I don't know what possessed me, but I visited GPA Tampa Bay's webpage and saw the picture below. I was in love! Long story short, he came home to live with us in December. Toby and our whippet get along great, and we absolutely love him! He is a wonderful dog!!

Marcus-IMG_0169.gif

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest trevdog

Hi from Tampa! Glad to see Toby found a good home! I volunteer with GPA....

I'm guessing you are an FSU alum as well(so am I) so what are you doing in Gville? :lol

Hi from Tampa! Glad to see Toby found a good home! I volunteer with GPA....

I'm guessing you are an FSU alum as well(so am I) so what are you doing in Gville? :lol

I was wondering if anyone was going to catch that! Yes, I rec'd my bachelor's and master's degrees from FSU. But when I graduated, I got my first "real" job in Gainesville. That's where I met my husband (a UF grad--yes we have a mixed marriage) so I've lived in Gainesville since 1987.

It's not a problem until the FSU-UF football game comes around, and we've been so pitiful these last 5-6 years that it's not even that bad anymore!

GPA has a great group down there! I grew up in Tampa and so I guess that's why I decided to look at the GPA Tampa Bay webpage that fateful day in November when I saw Toby's pic. Very nice people in that organization--they do a wonderful job, not just with the adoption but with all the follow up, too.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hello from California, and welcome! What a handsome hound he is!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest trevdog

Well next time you are in the area, you have to bring Toby by for a visit! We have M & G's on Sundays at most PetsMarts. PS - I have some friends that have their greys in matching FSU attire.....

Yeah!! I remember him from helping out with GPA Tampa!! Congrats!

That is so cool that you remember him! His name back then was Sol Marcus. I had to change his name because my boss's name is Marcus and there was no way my dog and boss were going to have the same name!! :lol

At GPA Tampa Bay I dealt with Maryann and Joe mostly, throughout the adoption process. Everyone was so nice!

I wish there were a GPA chapter up in this area...Ocala and Gainesville would be big adoption markets to tap into. I could understand them being apprehensive about Gville with all the college students here that seem to think getting a dog is an impulse item, not realizing it's a lifetime commitment. But not everyone that lives here is a college student...

Well next time you are in the area, you have to bring Toby by for a visit! We have M & G's on Sundays at most PetsMarts. PS - I have some friends that have their greys in matching FSU attire.....

How cute!! GH's all Noled out! :)

That would not be safe where we live!

Guest Jokertx

Oh Now that makes more sense to me. I recognized the face but not the name, I remember Marcus that is why!

I personally have 2 greyhounds prior to me moving to the Tampa area and I am a medical student. I have had the first 4 years in may and the 2nd almost 2.5 years. The boys have gotten used to my odd hours :) They do not complain, just sleep more... Glad to hear all is well!!

Edited by Jokertx

Guest trevdog

There are some grey groups up there, but I don't think there's a GPA chapter. I'll have to look and see if I can find the links for them. Perhaps you can go visit them, I'm sure they have M & G's somewhere.

Edited by trevdog

:welcome From South Carolina. What a handsome boy you have there! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter