Dukes Back Legs Getting Weaker?

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Over the past week or so, we've been noticing that Duke is slipping on our wood floors more often and that he is kind of wobly when he lifts his leg to wizz. Also, I noticed today that he's having a little difficulty getting up the steps. He does it a-ok but it seems like he's searching for the step with his hind legs and moving slower.

Any advice? he's like the kid with the bruised knee. He's always banging himself into something. Nothing else has changed. Still real playfull and friendly as he's ever been.

It would be good to get Duke to his vet before he gets any worse/weaker. There is more then one thing that could be causing this. Sending gentle ear scritches to Duke. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest BlackandBrindle

Definitely merits a vet visit, and I'm not one to run to the vet for everything.

It sounds like it could be something neurological and you'd want to catch that before it gets any worse.

Guest Winterwish

I'd second putting down a few throw rugs. It's really important to make sure they have rubber backing,it could be just cheap bathroom rugs from JCPenney. They sell larger size bathroom rugs,not just mats.

The vet's always important definitely. Also,it could be cardiac.

Sending good thoughts out to Duke! :dogcookie:dogcookie

Can you put some rugs down on your wood floors before he really slips badly and hurts himself?

he may have already done this when you weren't home and that could be what is causing all the problems now

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Gideon

We've put rugs down but there's usually a spot or two he can slip on. He is really good on wood floors. In the entire time we've had him - 4 1/2 years, he's been on wood floors with rugs about the place.

Strangely enough today, he bolted around the playground we let him run in and has the zips again. Go figure. I am thinking that he probably smacked his knee into something. He has always been a very clumsy dog. He bangs himself into all sorts of things no matter how much room he has to spare.

I'm going to take him to the vet anyways. Time for a check up.

Guest caiteag

Have you vet check him for Lubosacral Stenosis. It is a degenerative condition that creates back end pain and weakness. It is treatable with either surgery (in some cases) or medication/environmental/behavioral changes.

Dr. Suzanne Stack wrote the best informational page I know of relating to LS.. it can be found HERE.

Guest Gideon

We had him out for a long walk today. We keep noticing the same thing. He lifts leg to wizz and his left leg kind of rotates inward and he loses balance.

I'll get in to the vet this coming week.

It's the difficulty on stairs and the wobbliness on one leg when going to the bathroom that seem like more then coming from a ding of some kind.

This isn't to say one thing or another,but Dreamer had these signs for about a year. It could be a sign of age,it could be from a musculoskeletal issue true,but it could be cardiac and he's showing signs of increased effort doing ordinary things.

Strangely enough today, he bolted around the playground we let him run in and has the zips again.

Even tho' he did this. Afterall,play is mandatory!

But maybe keepan eye on his recovery after play,the panting for example. Are his paws cool as opposed to warm? Not to say you should jump to conclusions and worries,just that since you're wondering,it can't hurt to give a check on those kinds of things.

I'm just curious about what you said about his pads being cool or warm? What would that mean?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Winterwish

I was just thinking that combined with the weakness on exertion,if the paws are cool to cold,as opposed to a normal kind of warm,it could be an indicator of a cardiac issue.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest ss556

Has he been to the vet yet? Alan does the same thing. My vet said "it could be LS, it could be Wobbler's" very wishy washy. But Alan runs a bit, his right rear leg drops sometimes, he trips sometimes and I have three runners and three small rugs just in my kitchen b/c of the floor. I put carpet down in the hallway and living room about 1 1/2 yrs ago to cover the wood floors. Alan has slipped and fell on wood floors as he has gotten older. Give an update about Duke when you can.