Dandruff

Guest Dinamos

Guest Dinamos

Hello everyone.

We adopted Mya from Florida mid December. She is doing extremely well. We all love her to bits.

We live in Burlington, Ontario, Canada and have had a rather long, cold winter here. I have noticed that Mya has rather bad dandruff although her coat still looks good and feels fairly soft. I have 2 labradors as well and their coats are just fine.

Is there anything I should be doing to help improve Mya's coat/skin? or will it clear up on it's own once Spring arrives?

P.S. It's so wonderful to be part of this forum.

Audrey

Mya, Hudson and Molly

There are lots of products out there. I had a dandruffy dog and I tried Missing Link and various oil supplements but the product that really seemed to work was called DermCaps. Within a week or so the dandruff cleared up and when I ran out of them it returned in about a week. You can probably get them at a Petsmart/Petco or at your vet but they are far less expensive to order online. I got them from http://www.omahavaccine.com

Guest RocketDog

I add fish oil to the diet to help from the inside out, our Rocket was really flakey off the track and the fish oil helps a ton. I also use a leave-in conditioner, made by Miracle Coat. I apply it liberally and really work it in to the skin with a hound glove (which Rocket LOVES) and it really helps with the skin, as well as making the coat super glossy... and it smells good too!

Guest greytelectric
Hello everyone.

We adopted Mya from Florida mid December. She is doing extremely well. We all love her to bits.

We live in Burlington, Ontario, Canada and have had a rather long, cold winter here. I have noticed that Mya has rather bad dandruff although her coat still looks good and feels fairly soft. I have 2 labradors as well and their coats are just fine.

Is there anything I should be doing to help improve Mya's coat/skin? or will it clear up on it's own once Spring arrives?

P.S. It's so wonderful to be part of this forum.

Audrey

Mya, Hudson and Molly

This is not at all uncommon. My male grey came to me with the same issue. Healthy, good looking coat, but flakey. A good quality food helps. Along with some salmon oil, fish oil, or I've even used a good olive oil sprinkled on his food. His coat is gorgeous now. The salmon oil and fish oil can be a bit spendy, so try the olive oil first. If that doesn't help then I'd graduate to the other products.

Edited by greytelectric

You can use supplements, but this is really just a nautural change that a Grey's coat is going to go through. If you are interested in a supplement, Hair of the Dog (link in my signature) is FANTABULOUS!

But the truth is, if you have the dog on a good quality food, and are brushing on a regular basis, you should do just fine. What happens is that as a dog gets on a lower-protein food (as most commercial kibbles are, compared to a track diet), which typically also has coat additives, you will see the coat change. It's usually dull and dry looking right off the track, but as it changes, you will see the coat get sleeker and shinier.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest SabrinaInDE
You can add oil to her food. We use Grizzly Salmon Oil here and we really like it. We did not have much luck with the fish oil caps.

We use Grizzly Salmon Oil here, too. I've really seen a difference in their coats (shinier and thicker), and Max's dandruff has gone away.

Guest Dinamos

Thank you everyone for your replies !!

It was very helpful.

Just one more question, please.

How much oil do I put on her food? In the liquid form or capsules?

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Owned by Mya the tigerhound, Hudson (chocolate lab) and Molly (yellow lab)

Thank you everyone for your replies !!

It was very helpful.

Just one more question, please.

How much oil do I put on her food? In the liquid form or capsules?

Audrey

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Owned by Mya the tigerhound, Hudson (chocolate lab) and Molly (yellow lab)

I would start easily--too much oil can sometimes upset tummies. Either a fish oil capsul (I think they're usually about 1000mg?) or about a TBS of oil should be plenty.

Also, I find brushing frequently with the hound glove--it has little rubber nubs, works well and dogs usually enjoy it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.