Eeeewww!

Ugh. This morning I was sitting on the couch with the laptop on my lap while Merlin was lying against me. I could smell his bum and it's not nice. Every now and then I got a whiff and phhheeew! Get away from me. About an hour later, I find a... wet spot on the couch where his bum was... EEEWWWW! :puke :puke :puke

I cleaned it up but I have been sniff-checking my couch and it smells - all of it! Do you think his anal glands might need to be expressed? Is this something the vet can do? I've never had this problem before.

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

I would definitely think it's an anal gland issue.

Soak your coach in some good enzyme cleaner, or vinegar (but make sure it doesn't bleach the fabric)

A vet tech should be able to express his anal glands if that's the issue- I'd suggest taking him to a vet rather than a groomer.

Edited by BlackandBrindle

Might this also mean that I should change his food? Been thinking about it lately. I just read an article about anal gland expression and it said it can also be due to soft stools.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well harder/firmer is better so they express themselves naturally, but some dogs have issues with their anal glands regardless of food.

What food is Merlin on now?

Guest lotsagreys4me

Some dogs need their glands expressed on a regular basis. My old guy has to have them done monthly or they become infected. that is unpleasant for him and all of us. My vet taught me how to do it but after a couple of times I decided it was better to just take him in once a month.

Well harder/firmer is better so they express themselves naturally, but some dogs have issues with their anal glands regardless of food.

What food is Merlin on now?

Nutro Chicken Oatmeal and Rice Formula for Sensitive Stomachs... <_< I don't like it. I'm just not convinced that it's high quality food. He didn't do well when I tried to switch him to Wellness, although that was about a year ago. I was thinking of switching to Eagle Pack or Innova.

Guest wmlcml6

I've had good luck with Blue Buffalo brand, especially the organic version. My girl liked the Nutro you're on now, but she got fat on it, and I think the Blue is more of a premium food.

Guest ArtysPeople

I agree: eeeeeewwww! It does sound like the descriptions of anal gland issues I've read about. I'm so glad we haven't had this issue with Arty.

If you're thinking of switching foods, I give a strong endorsement to Canidae Lamb and Rice formula. I feel very confident about the quality of its ingredients, and Arty's woos (as we call them) have been firmer than ever before since we switched him over to 100% Canidae. I can't vouch for the other Canidae formulas, but we're very happy with the lamb and rice -- Arty's flaky skin has even improved since we switched.

Yup, time to express those glands.

In my guys when they start to appear to have any issues, I add a tablespoon of pumpkin to their food for a couple of weeks. It firms poop and clears the glands right up :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Thanks, I just watched that video, but why did they use a black dog??? Can't see a thing! :lol :lol :lol

I really want to learn how to do it myself, since it might happen again... my vet is quite a drive from my house. Also, I can't take him to the vet today as DH has the car, and we're expecting 6-10 inches of snow between 10pm tonight nd 4pm tomorrow... so not sure I'll be able to drive over there tomorrow morning. I am tempted to try and do it myself... Thing is, I don't want to hurt Merlin or press the wrong spots... do you think I should wait?

Christie - thanks for the head's up on Canidae. I'll consider it, especially since Merlin has a tendency to get flaky skin too. Where do you buy it? Fetch? Oh, and I think Merlin is getting fat on Nutro too! It's been worrying me for a while. I'm going to post some pics and see what people think.

ETA: I put a teaspoon of pumpkin in every meal... and his poop seems quite firm these days... :huh

Edited by merlinsmum

"I've had good luck with Blue Buffalo brand, especially the organic version. My girl liked the Nutro you're on now, but she got fat on it, and I think the Blue is more of a premium food. "

I went to High School with the owners of Blue Buffalo, they are such a nice family, it is located in my hometown of Wilton CT. They have been a sponsor of Mountain Hounds for 2 years now.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

Guest ArtysPeople
Christie - thanks for the head's up on Canidae. I'll consider it, especially since Merlin has a tendency to get flaky skin too. Where do you buy it? Fetch? Oh, and I think Merlin is getting fat on Nutro too! It's been worrying me for a while. I'm going to post some pics and see what people think.

We get it at Pet Quarters in Auburn (which is a great store FWIW); I don't know who sells it in your area. :dunno

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest BlackandBrindle

I've never been a big fan of Nutro.

Eagle Pack is a pretty good food for a decent price. I'd be tempted to try that before Evo, just because I know a lot of dogs don't do well with such a rich food.

We get it at Pet Quarters in Auburn (which is a great store FWIW); I don't know who sells it in your area. :dunno

Sorry I keep forgetting you're not in Portland! :rolleyes: DOH! :P

Oh dear am I going off-topic here...? This is becoming a Food discussion... I'll repost the food issue in another thread...

Out of interest, has anyone ever tried to express their own dog's anal glands? Is it hard to do? I think I might give it a try... *eyeing Merlin's bum suspiciously* :unsure

Guest rosebudd

yeap we have that problem here also. I express them myself (I am a nurse, what's the diff between dog butt and human butt? some are furry and some are not on both sides) I have to do it about once a month or two, all depends when he starts stinking again. Today was our day, he is not looking at me right now :blink: ohh and leo is fed raw so he has hard poops but still has to have them expressed.

Edited by rosebudd