Blood Work Values?

smday

Best had some blood work done and the vet is telling me some values are a bit high. I am thinking this is the greyhound thing of having different "normal" but wanted to check.

The ones noted as HIGH are:

Urea Nitrogen 27 normal 6-25

Creatinine 1.9 normal 0.5-1.6

Total Bilirubin 0.4 normal 0.1-0.3

The vet didn't seem all that concerned - what do you all think?

thanks

Susan

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

I think if you're vet isn't concerned you shouldn't be either.

That creatinine is normal for a greyhound (my boy has a bitty elevation, but according to Dr. Couto, he sees that "all the time" in healthy greyhounds--1.9 is the upper range of greyhound normal).

I can't speak to the other values personally, but there is plenty of literature available on the web--Google for "greyhound blood values."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

They look within greyhound range. Turbo's was BUN was 34 and creatinine 1.8 - both high, but my vet wasn't worried. We even did a urinalysis just as a back-up, but everything checked out. Greys tend to run high in those departments :) Oh, my vet did say the results could have also been due to the high protein diet he's on (Evo with a few supplements - she loves his diet :) )

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks for the reassurance. I went through this with Amandita where they put her on a special kidney diet and the bloodwork didn't change at all. They decided that her values were normal for her.

This is a new vet in the practice and I think he wasn't quite sure about greyhound values. Maybe I will find some literature to print out and give to him.

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Guest spider9174
Best had some blood work done and the vet is telling me some values are a bit high. I am thinking this is the greyhound thing of having different "normal" but wanted to check.

The ones noted as HIGH are:

Urea Nitrogen 27 normal 6-25

Creatinine 1.9 normal 0.5-1.6

Total Bilirubin 0.4 normal 0.1-0.3

The vet didn't seem all that concerned - what do you all think?

thanks

Susan

How long has yoru dog been off the track?

Is this the first time you had blood drawn?

While your guys values may be on the high side of the range, it isn't out of the norm. My boy has similar BUN and his creatinine is usually 1.9-2.1. They've always been around that. He is fine, assymptomatic for renal insufficiency.

I don't think there is much to worry about as long as the values don't go up. Recheck in 6 months.