Will Interceptor Treat Hook Worms

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Izzy's stool test came back positive for hookworms. When we were at the vet he gave her an Intercepter because it was just about time for her heartworm pill anyway and since there might be worms he gave her that. He called and left a message on my machine that she has hookworms but the interceptor will cure that.

will one dose of that do it? Seems like I keep reading about multiple treatments of Panacur? I'm going to talk to him tomorrow and ask but I figured I'd see what you guys say.

We were told 2 does of interceptor BUT it did not work. We needed to use panacur.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest LittleGreys

If you know for sure you have hooks, as in your case, I would deworm with a regular dewormer (I like Drontal Plus), then start them on Interceptor as a monthly preventive. Although Interceptor should take care of them, I like the security of knowing for sure. In my opinion, Interceptor should be used as a preventive more so than an actual treatment, if that makes sense. That is what we do in the clinic where I work.

Guest longdogs

As they say, it all depends. You need to maintain treatment for several months because no common treatment kills all stages. They need to get to certain state of maturity and be living in the gut before the medication will work at all and it takes a while to complete the cycle. If there are large numbers of adults a more powerful vermifuge is generally needed because they can be difficult to shift. Once the adult population is gone, something like Interceptor can keep them under control. The kicker is, where did they come from? If they are survivors from her track days you shouldn't have too much trouble. If she's picking them up on her walks you should consider switching permanently to Interceptor or similar, or better, give her a more effective vermifuge on a regular basis. Some have to do it every couple of weeks. Meanwhile, every poop is a time-bomb so get rid of them immediately, especially if there is any chance of other dogs coming into contact with them. They are 'safe' when fresh, but the larvae quickly develop and move into the surrounding area.

You need to worm with panacur then use Interceptor from now on.

I have to agree whole heartedly with Burpdog. We have been down this road and it was a long journey. We had no luck at all with Drontel Plus, even though it is labeled for use with hookworms. I would recommend 3 days of panacur now, 3 more days in 3 weeks, and 3 more days in another 3 weeks. As already mentioned one dose does not kill all stages. Follow that with year round monthly Interceptor. And yes be diligent about picking up poop.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Thanks. That is EXACTLY the info I need to be armed with when I go to my vet. I'll put both dogs on interceptor (the other has been on Sentinal) and I'll ask him for a good treatment of panacur to be safe.

I certainly pick up poops daily, but since we've already discussed the liquid nature of the poops the cleanups are not super thorough. I am SURE there are lots of worms that have now set up residence in my yard :angry:

Since my cats are indoor/outdoor I guess I need to check their flea/hworm packaging and make sure they treat hooks too just in case. Sigh. Well, it can't be as bad as the year my daughter brought headlice home (man oh man. . .what a bad couple of months!!!!)

Thanks again everyone. I feel much more confident that we can lick this thing.

Do you think that while on and after panacur and wating for the poo to firm up, I should stop the super crappy food the vet gave me (supposedly for dogs with GI troubles but the ingredients are just full of grains and by products) and feed boiled meet and some bland carb? I just want her to feel better and not lose too much more weight.

Edited by SillyIzzysMom

For hooks you can also use Nemex, which might be cheaper than Panacur.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've only had to deal with hookworms once and that was with one of my foster girls. I never knew she was having any problems until she totally blew out in her crate. The vet gave her Panacur and I did the rice and chicken routine and she cleared up within days. My four have been on Interceptor since they've been with me and I've never had a problem w/ worms.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Do you think that while on and after panacur and wating for the poo to firm up, I should stop the super crappy food the vet gave me (supposedly for dogs with GI troubles but the ingredients are just full of grains and by products) and feed boiled meet and some bland carb? I just want her to feel better and not lose too much more weight.

How is she doing on that food? If the vet gave her canned Hills I/D or Eukanuba Low Residue (or the Purina equivalent - EN, maybe?), I'd feed what you have till it's gone and then make your own. I have great respect for canned I/D and Low Res -- folks who read labels won't like the ingredients list but these foods work beautifully for troubled innards. The Hills has a respectable calorie content per can; don't remember the exact number offhand. To make your own, be sure to add extra water to any grain product/carb and cook till well absorbed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

It's the purina EN. Obviously she's not "doing well" on it. . .but with the worms I can't really blame the food, I suppose. She certainly likes it--she seems to be willing to eat anything! Maybe you're right. I just looked up the stuff and all the corn and corn gluten meal raised some flags. . .but maybe it's fine??

Guest LolasMom

My girl came to me with such bad hooks that it took 3 doses of Panacur (3 days each) and 3 doses of Pyrantel to get rid of them as they kept hatching! :headwall

All's well now and she has the best looking poops in town. :)

It's the purina EN. Obviously she's not "doing well" on it. . .but with the worms I can't really blame the food, I suppose. She certainly likes it--she seems to be willing to eat anything! Maybe you're right. I just looked up the stuff and all the corn and corn gluten meal raised some flags. . .but maybe it's fine??

If it's not doing great things for her, wouldn't hurt to make your own. :) All dogs are different. And you're right, hard to tell what's happening due to the food vs. the worms vs. worm medicine.

Corn isn't the big villain it's made out to be. You sure don't want to feed a dog only corn, but it's actually one of the more digestible and nutritious grains for dogs. Assuming the individual dog doesn't have a sensitivity to it.

Guest greyvettech

The best for hookworm treatment is to treat with panacur three days in a row, then repeat in two weeks(your vet will give you the appropriate dosage, of course...If a dog has a large parasite load, the interceptor alone, in most cases, will not kill all the parasites...panacur is the way to go!