Cacking Water

Guest smarthound

Guest smarthound

Josie throws up water every day or two. I am taking her to the vet to have her checked out but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience with their dogs. She is acting and eating normally. No food comes up, just water and a little white foam. She's the chewer in our house so I try to keep a close eye on her.

Happens all the time 'round here when the dogs "discover" the water bowl and try to fill up... and up.

Helps to break their concentration if they've been drinking too long. If there's no food coming up (which could indicate the onset of megaesophagus), I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest michael_roberts

Star is a big fan of emptying the water bowl, and then racing down the spiral stairs. He never fails to urp up all the water on the floor at the bottom. :rolleyes: He also has a little separation anxiety and will do this if he has just had a bunch of water and then realizes he is about to be left.

Guest ArtysPeople

"Cacking" is a great term for it. Happens here, too, and I've always just chalked it up to too much water too quickly. Please let us know if the vet says otherwise.

Guest gretzky

The same thing might be happening here. Haven't actually witnessed anything but have found the evidence shortly after a trip outside, which is when the most water is consumed. It just started so we are keeping a close watch as well. Please let us know what the vet says.

Simon's been doing that for 10 years. I call it his "drinking problem". :rolleyes:

I don't worry about it...I just try not to step in his little warm slimy puddles in my socks. <_<

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Hi Jan

Sasha does it almost every morning after a HUGE drink of water

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Simon's been doing that for 10 years. I call it his "drinking problem". :rolleyes:

I don't worry about it...I just try not to step in his little warm slimy puddles in my socks. <_<

<_< I have done that too many times to count, thanks to my little one. He just gets SO excited about EVERYTHING, including me filling the water bowl, that he gets himself all worked up and then drinks a whole bunch reallyreallyfast...and then, the *cack*...and then the puddle (it always seems like an awful lot for such a little guy too!)...he is just so excitable.

The big kids do it on occasion, but it's usually after they've just come in from a play session outside and are all wound up as they're drinking.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest smarthound

It sounds like this is nothing to worry about. I'm monitoring Josie so see if there is a pattern. Guess I'll wait for the next vet visit to ask what causes this.

Thanks for the input everyone!