Limping Doggy

Guest ador3

Hi,

We just rescued "Indy" last Friday and I'm noticing some limping in the past few days. We live in Brooklyn and had a long weekend and took him on long walks around the neighborhood and to the park everyday. My bf was running with him a bit, on the leash of course. We did stairs and were just generally super active.

I'm kind of assuming it may just the long walks, activity and the concrete that's been hard on his joints, but if it persists I'm making a vet appointment just to ease our minds.

My question is about glucosamine/chondroitin/shark cartilage. I am just wondering which works best or if a combo is good and also if dog supplements are necessary or if I can give him the human version- GNC, etc. Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you!!

He is 3 year and 4 months. No racing injuries... at least that's what we were told. He was retired in October and was at the keenel until we adopted him last week.

A

Hi,

We just rescued "Indy" last Friday and I'm noticing some limping in the past few days. We live in Brooklyn and had a long weekend and took him on long walks around the neighborhood and to the park everyday. My bf was running with him a bit, on the leash of course. We did stairs and were just generally super active.

I'm kind of assuming it may just the long walks, activity and the concrete that's been hard on his joints, but if it persists I'm making a vet appointment just to ease our minds.

My question is about glucosamine/chondroitin/shark cartilage. I am just wondering which works best or if a combo is good and also if dog supplements are necessary or if I can give him the human version- GNC, etc. Any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you!!

Guest SoulsMom

Have you checked his pads? If he had many long walks this weekend and his paws aren't "used" to walking so much his pads might be sore . . . .

No advice on the supplements. I only give Soul fish oil, vit E, and vit B. What are you wanting the supplement to do?

I have checked his pads and also in between his pads and I didn't see anything. I even lightly sqeezed around to see if he would react if he had a tender spot, but he didn't react at all.

I was just thinking that it may be a good idea to start giving him these supplements to help counter-act any kind of joint or stiffness issues he may have.

Have you checked his pads? If he had many long walks this weekend and his paws aren't "used" to walking so much his pads might be sore . . . .

No advice on the supplements. I only give Soul fish oil, vit E, and vit B. What are you wanting the supplement to do?

To be honest, if he is still limping after 3 days, I would take him to the vet. We do give our two a Nutro feed that has glucosamine chondrotin (Adult Dog) added in it but more because we are just trying to give them strong healthy joints. Dixie started limping early January and we took her to the vet after it continued and found out that she had a cervical disc problem. Don't know how or why but the vet gave her some meds and now she is like new.

You should take him to the vet regardless. Any new pet in the home should be seen by the vet, if only to establish what the pet looks like healthy, and your adoption contract probably states that you agree to do that within 10 days.

I give my Greyhound a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement that I get at vitacost.com calle ArthriPower for Pets. He loves it, and it seems to help--as much as any of these things help!

Naturally my vet insists the the Cosequin she wants to sell me for 5 times the price is better, but I am not sure how!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

You should take him to the vet regardless. Any new pet in the home should be seen by the vet, if only to establish what the pet looks like healthy...

:nod If you haven't already gotten him in for a wellness check, now is the time :) Congrats on your adoption.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

We have tried a lot of things! I have a 4 year old with at least arthritis. I had the best luck with Synovi G3. I order it online through omahavaccine.com. It is much cheaper than the vet or pet store. I would have your vet take a look though for peace of mind.

Congratulations!

The Girls