Prednisone

Friday afternoon, Carolina ripped her nail off in the yard. A trip to the vet and she was put under, they clipped the nail past the split and wrapped her up. She has an antibiotic and pain pills. Saturday morning her leg above the wrapped part was swollen. A trip back to the vet and it's swollen because she wasn't using that leg. So yesterday she was prescribed prednisone. She had 10 mg twice yesterday, and will get the same today. For the remainder of the week, she will only get 10 mg skipping a couple of days. This morning the top half of her leg is still swollen and it has moved down to affect her "ankle." How long before the prednisone kicks in? She is drinking and peeing more but it isn't helping the swelling any.

A few pictures from this morning:

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Ignore the treat crumbs on her leg :lol

IMG_0820.jpg

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

It usually takes at least 12 to 24 hours for prednisone to start working, sometimes as long as 48 hours but when it kicks in it works well.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Probably every dog is different but when I put Bull on predinosone this week (last ditch effort for an ear infection I've been fighting some time now...didn't want to do it but the ear was so bad the doc couldn't even put the scope in it), it worked in 24 hours. The infection was "gone" and you could actually SEE into the ear. Amazing. I'm not keen on the stuff, but it did work fast for us.

Note: he IS peeing more. Yuck

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Even if the pred 'kicks in' it may take a few more days for the swelling to reduce. Does your vet think that she has SLO? Or did the nail rip because of it's length? It can be so dangerous for them to run with long nails. I do hope that she (and you) feel better soon!

Edited by Cynthia

From what the vet saw, the nail had a split in it to start with, and it finally broke off. I did mention the possibility of autoimmune because that is affecting her nose. He didn't think that caused the problem with the nail though.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest runner615
Aww, sorry to hear Carolina had to visit the vet. I can't help with your questions about pred., sorry. Just sending pretty Carolina some hugs from her friends and hoping she feels better after a good night's sleep. :colgate