Please Say Prayers For My Sophie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad to know she's doing better. You're a good mommy!

Thanks so much, I try to be, I love my babies more than words can say.... :colgate I just want my Sophie to feel better real soon! :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

So glad to hear Sophie's hanging in. The piece of skin that's bothering her is an irritated vulva, not an irritated anus. One of our girls had this and it caused blood and infection from time to time. We needed to clean her with a vinegar and water mix followed by Panalog cream after she urinated. The vinegar and water burned. There's got to be a better way to clean this by now. This was many years ago.

Marcia, who still likes Electric City :)

Marcia, I said Electic City is Great too, they were wonderful to stay in touch and their answers were the same as the e-vet. :colgate They explained to me that it was the anus area (vulva) and they also told me to use the water and vinegar. :colgate

Edited by 4greyhounds

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

I too am happy that Sophie is at least doing a little better. And let's face it, it's never fast enough for us.I will keep her in my prayers. I don't know if this is the same thing but my little Misty who is a petite 56lbs has a real problem in her vaginal area.She has skin folds and I have to wash her every time she pees. That is when I can catch her going. Because of the folds, urine gets trapped and bacteria forms. Now I don't know if this is true or not, it's just what I was told.They are sometimes on so many steroids at the track and that causes some swelling. Once they're off the steroids for a time, the swelling goes down and if they're very petite, there is sometimes excess skin and the skin folds form. Like I said....don't know if that's true or not. There's a surgery that can correct the problem but it also can create other problems.My vet gives me a bacterial solution and an ointment which of course Misty licks off right away.I asked the vet if we should try Desitin creamy because it's so tough to get off so that's what we do now and that helps.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I too am happy that Sophie is at least doing a little better. And let's face it, it's never fast enough for us.I will keep her in my prayers. I don't know if this is the same thing but my little Misty who is a petite 56lbs has a real problem in her vaginal area.She has skin folds and I have to wash her every time she pees. That is when I can catch her going. Because of the folds, urine gets trapped and bacteria forms. Now I don't know if this is true or not, it's just what I was told.They are sometimes on so many steroids at the track and that causes some swelling. Once they're off the steroids for a time, the swelling goes down and if they're very petite, there is sometimes excess skin and the skin folds form. Like I said....don't know if that's true or not. There's a surgery that can correct the problem but it also can create other problems.My vet gives me a bacterial solution and an ointment which of course Misty licks off right away.I asked the vet if we should try Desitin creamy because it's so tough to get off so that's what we do now and that helps.

That sounds like the same thing here, and I was worried to death, but all test came back negative. He said I could use the vinegar and water to clean after she goes but like Marcia said if it burns that bad. I think I would rather try the destin, she is also a licker and will lick it right off. :huh Thanks so much for the tips, so the surgrey can cause other problems that is not what I want. Thanks again to everybody for the well wishes and the suggestions, I appreciate it more than you will ever know. Sophie is also getting a lot better she is starting to rough house with her brothers again, She is a real tom boy, so when she has no energy I know there is def. something WRONG!!!!! As we call her our little Tom Boy. :lol

darlenesiggy2.jpg

That sounds like the same thing here, and I was worried to death, but all test came back negative. He said I could use the vinegar and water to clean after she goes but like Marcia said if it burns that bad. I think I would rather try the destin, she is also a licker and will lick it right off. :huh Thanks so much for the tips, so the surgrey can cause other problems that is not what I want. Thanks again to everybody for the well wishes and the suggestions, I appreciate it more than you will ever know. Sophie is also getting a lot better she is starting to rough house with her brothers again, She is a real tom boy, so when she has no energy I know there is def. something WRONG!!!!! As we call her our little Tom Boy. :lol

The Desitin creamy really helps the irritation, but I wash her first with this anti-bacterial solution which doesn't seem to burn her at all. I wish I knew the name of it but I'm sorry I don't.If Sophie is a licker like my Misty, yes they lick a lot of the desitin off, but with the creamy they don't get it all off.I also put some of the Desitin on a piece of gauze and wipe her gently several times a day.As for the surgery, they do something that is simialr to what people have done...a nip and tuck. But if the dog is a licker, my vet won't do the surgery unless there's a way to insure they can't lick the incision for 3 weeks.My vet and I tried the e-collar, the bite-not collar, and she can still lick that area so the vet said he wouldn't do the surgery. I hope that Sophie continues to get better and better and feels like herself very soon. I HATE it when they don't feel good.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

Marcia, I said Electic City is Great too, they were wonderful to stay in touch and their answers were the same as the e-vet. :colgate They explained to me that it was the anus area (vulva) and they also told me to use the water and vinegar. :colgate

Yes, I thought we were in agreement. :dunno Well anyway, here's to vinegar and water!

Marcia

Check out the story about Rita, quite a few people have posted that their dogs had the corrective surgery with no problems during the healing.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

There is a current thread with a link to a dog who underwent the vulvoplasty operation. Sounds like an uncomfortable recovery period is standard, but that the surgery is both routine and successful. Of course there is the ever present concern about anesthesia. :unsure

It is the thread about Rita:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=192078

Some hounds have the surgery, and some just have careful hygiene with antibiotics -- the link in the Rita thread gives a very full picture.

Edited by Booker_Aye

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Thanks so Much! That really helps me to be able to read about it, I see pros and Cons. But I think we are probably ARE GOING TO GET IT...... As soon as sister heals up from the vicious dog attack, one have to deal with one thing at a time, Sophie is still on antibotics and her sister gets her stitches out on Monday. So I have made a appt. for Sophie the following Monday.We have to have a decision made by then because the appt is with the surgeon. Thanks so Much Everybody. :colgate:unsure

darlenesiggy2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...