Dental

Guest epona1974

Guest epona1974

I have an appointment scheduled in two weeks for Hiro's dental. I've got a cousin in Indiana who is a vet that I'd love to have work on my dogs, but she's 14 hours away. So, we're going to our local vet. Can someone give me an idea of how long it will take, barring anything odd like an extraction, and what all will be done? I'm a little worried about the cost, since I know there are add ons to everything, but it shouldn't be too bad, since February is dental month.

I appreciate the help and advice.

You should probably ask the vet who is going to DO the procedure what they're going to do! I think it varies, some vets to x-rays as a matter of course (mine) and some don't! He or she will be able to tell you exactly what they do, how long it takes, etc.

I think they do pretty much the same things to do teeth as to people teeth--they just have to put the dog to sleep temporarily!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi,

Please be sure to have blood work done prior to the dental - also make sure the vet is familiar with correct anesthesia for greyhounds. My Krier was suppose to have a dental today, but needed to have blood work done - he's been having nosebleeds, and his coagulation was off so we cancelled the dental.

Good luck.

I would ask the vet to walk you through the procedure--will they be pushing IV fluids (good for older dogs), what anesthetics will they be using, will their be pain relief during treatment, what exactly will be done during treatment, how does wakeup work, what drugs if any will be used post-procedure. What will be the costs, with a breakdown for the different parts. A good vet, imo, should be willing to explain all this to you, and you'll probably feel better understanding all of it.

I wait through Patrick's procedure (not necessary, but I worry), it usually takes maybe an hour total between pre-op stuff to him coming out, then I leave while they monitor him for several more hours, and come back and pick him up later in the day.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest epona1974

I just picked up the paperwork. Ok, for the February special they include an IV cath, antibiotic injection, pain injection, and an oravet application. Then the bloodwork is an additional $52.50. The vet is familiar with greyhounds, so that makes me feel better. He has also already met Hiro and Hiro wasn't shy around him. I'm going to have to drop him off and leave him, since I'll have only been on my new job for a week when Hiro goes for his dental.