Toenail Length And Clipping

Penny's toenails are very long (probably 1-1.5 inches long). I've tried to clip them, as has the groomer, but the quick is already at the end and visible, so there isn't much I can clip/dremmel.

She is starting therapy dog training next month, and I really would like them shorter (if possible). The groomer this past time told me that "the nails on greyhounds get long (and you can't get them shorter) because they don't get clipped at the track". Now I know for certain this is not true, at least not in Penny's case.

Is there any hope of getting the quick to move back so her nails can be shorter? She also has long dew claws.

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

Guest BlackandBrindle

Dremel them every other day. Even if you are just taking the tiniest bit off, it will make the quick recede faster than clipping. I did this when I let Spud's nails get too long and I had them under control within two weeks. :)

Your groomer is a knucklehead.

I'd take the dog to the vet and get one of the technicians to do it.

Generally you can get a "tech appointment" for a fraction of the cost of a vet visit, and I'd trust my dog to a vet tech WAY before I'd let a groomer touch him!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Winterwish

When I was in the same boat and before I had a dremel,I used to use the black side of one of those heel filing files for people's heels you see at duane reade,or rite-aid,etc.

Actually,they did help a lot! Only thing is the file would wear down quickly tho',so I'd buy 2 at a time.

Then moved to dremeling just 4 seonds each nail every other day for as long as it took. It did take quite a while. If you go along a sliver at a time,and not let the days pass without doing them,you'll get there. :)

Edited by Winterwish

Guest KennelMom
The groomer this past time told me that" the nails on greyhounds get long (and you can't get them shorter) because they don't get clipped at the track".

...and yet, I've watched trainers clipping nails. I hope you set her straight ;)

Anyhoo...the dremel is the best and fastest way to get length off. Just trim them every few days until they are an appropriate length for her foot or activities you are doing with her.

Guest SabrinaInDE

I agree with the Dremeling. Max had long nails when I got him (with the quick to the end), and with some persistent dremeling, they are now well off the floor when he stands.

The good thing about using a dremel is that you can just file it a little bit, so even if it's really close to the quick you can do it. Plus you can stop frequently to look at the nail and see if you're getting close (check out the DoberDawn site to see what it looks like). With clippers I worry that I'll get the quick accidentally so I don't trim enough off and it takes longer to get results.

Edited by Ola