Blood Test Results

Guest Kpparker

Guest Kpparker

Just got off the phone with the vet. He said that both dogs seemed slightly dehydrated and that Tavi's white blood cell count was lower than normal. He wants to run blood tests on him again in 3 weeks. Just quickly wondering if greys tend to have a lower white blood cell count than other breeds? I shoulda asked him what the number was, darn.

In terms of the dehydration - I think the dogs are getting enough water in general so it may have been circumstantial (just peed before we left home for the vet, Tavi was stressed at the vet and panting a lot)... so Im not too concerned about that.

Bia has struvite crystals in her urine so he wants to put her on the s/d or c/d food to break them down and then recheck the urine in 3 weeks.

Im going to bring in a sample of urine from Tavi to check if he has crystals as well.

Oh shoot, I was just thinking that Tavi's white blood cell count should have been on the high side because had developed an infection on his tummy as a result of licking one area incessantly (allergies?) so his body should have been trying to fight the infection, right?

If you're dogs white blood cell count IS lower than normal, what does that really mean?

THanks peeps! :)

Greyhounds do run lower white blood cell counts. See here: http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...d%20Labwork.pdf , page 3.

Has pup been on antibiotics for the infection? That would keep the count low. Also, if he just has some broken skin where he's been licking, it isn't necessarily infected. And finally, if it's a minor infection and his body is taking care of it, you might not see WBC elevation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Kpparker

Thanks, Im going to print this out and give it to the vet when I head over there today.

He wasnt on antibiotics at the time he got the blood test done, but is on them now.

The skin definitely looked infected - and it was spreading. He's on medication now and we have this cleaning solution to use twice a day that's really helping.

Also on the dehydration- what was the determining factor? Greyhounds have a hematocrit that is substantially higher than that of other dogs. In humans, an elevated hematocrit can imply dehydration- less fluid in the blood = higher red cell count, indicating dehydration (or, for extreme athletes, blood doping). The "dehydration" could be normal.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest Kpparker

ahicks - Im going to call the vet tonight and mention that to him. I dropped off a copy of Dr. Couto's paper (thanks Batmom!) so hopefully he can read it soon - I pointed out the important part!

If I ask the vet for a copy of their urine/blood test results they should be able to just give it to me no problem right?

My vet is constantly saying that my dog's blood work indicates dehydration...

She's clearly not taking into account his greyhoundedness!!!

I got sick of her always repeating every test, and sent his blood and urine results to Dr. Couto at OSU, and he said he considers them "perfectly normal" for a greyhound! You can bet I printed out that email!!!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yeah, fortunately, my vet is very greyhound savvy. When Turbo's recent bloodwork came back, I got an email from her saying something like, "We've got Turbo's bloodwork results and boy is he all greyhound!" :lol

And yes, low-ish platelets, high-ish renal values - very typical :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Kpparker

We didn't see our usual vet (Dr. Hall) who owns a greyhound herself.. so Im not entirely surprised by him possibly being 'off' on his analysis of the results. I'll talk to him though and try to find out actual numbers. I don't think Tavi needs to have his bloodwork redone in 3 weeks though.