Hi From Ny

Guest celticfairiemom

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys do a weekend walk let me know we would come over and walk. Also do you do Meet and Greets? We still head back to NJ to do them.

Don't forget me and Minty.. :huh We're over this side of the river too!... not far at all from Laurie it seems!!

As for Meet n Greets.. we do 'em... matter of fact.. we have one on the 16th. We usually do the morning shift..10-12..though we often get involved talking to someone and stay a bit longer.

Linda

Edited by Moonsmom

I have been told the rail trail section up by me is completely paved, but I'm going to check it alone before I bring Callie. We did walk the rec. field but was less than thrilled with that. We also walked by the airport at the ball field. Since she still has her stitches from her spaying we couldn't let her run in the ball field but it is completely fenced.

Boy, I feel dumb.. :blink: I just drove over to Fishkill Plains to get my hair the other day and saw the "rail trail" sign.. uh.. I never knew it was there!

The ballfield over at the Town Rec by the airport?? Long time ago, when I we adopted our first grey, Moon, we used go there.. then came the signs.. "NO DOGS ALLOWED". Sigh.. I was always careful to clean up..but apparently others weren't.. as is usually the case, I guess.. :angry: but it was nice while we could.

I sure wish the weather would stay mild.. I'm anxious to get back to walking without freezing and without mud!

Linda & Minty

Guest celticfairiemom

Long time ago, when I we adopted our first grey, Moon, we used go there.. then came the signs.. "NO DOGS ALLOWED". Sigh.. I was always careful to clean up..but apparently others weren't.. as is usually the case, I guess.. but it was nice while we could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

now the sign says "please clean up after your dog" WE always have bags with us but I have to tell you - it seemed weird picking up after Callie when she went right next to 3 other piles!! Dh picked hers up but said he was not getting anyone else's - LOL.

The Rail Trail is pretty new. It was mobbed over the weekend but I would like to check it out and see what it has to offer for walking surfaces. I know the gravel is for people who are on horseback and it is paved but I am not sure about the grass situation.

As for Meet n Greets.. we do 'em... matter of fact.. we have one on the 16th. We usually do the morning shift..10-12..though we often get involved talking to someone and stay a bit longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

where are you doing your Meet and Greet? Callie and I will be at Petco in Poughkeepsie that morning from 10-12.

now the sign says "please clean up after your dog" WE always have bags with us but I have to tell you - it seemed weird picking up after Callie when she went right next to 3 other piles!! Dh picked hers up but said he was not getting anyone else's - LOL.

The Rail Trail is pretty new. It was mobbed over the weekend but I would like to check it out and see what it has to offer for walking surfaces. I know the gravel is for people who are on horseback and it is paved but I am not sure about the grass situation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

where are you doing your Meet and Greet? Callie and I will be at Petco in Poughkeepsie that morning from 10-12.

:confetti YEAH!!! The ballfield is no longer.."No dogs Alllowed!!"? YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Oh..I'm so excited! DH is happy.. Minty just ..well...she was napping..but she'll be happy. She does have enough of a fenced yard to do her zoomies in ..but so much more fun to have a bigger space.. but being able to take her where we took Moon just makes it more special. (Can you tell I'm really missing my heart boy right now?) I'm not nuts about picking up other people's. piles (well, dog's actually.. but it's the people that need to be responsible; so I guess they are their piles too!).. in fact it really annoys me to see people just let their dogs "dump and go". I have picked up "other dog's piles" in the past..but only if it's 'cause it's either for someone that it's obvious they are preparing to but they're struggling due to a physical problem or else if it's like near the entrance to my mom's, (who doesn't have a dog) but my Altz. afflicted dad might step in it and make more work for my mom...(I'm such a sap!)

My Meet and Greet is the exact same spot as you.. AND the exact same time! I can't wait to meet you and Callie... maybe we can set up some walk times!

Linda & Minty

Guest celticfairiemom

My Meet and Greet is the exact same spot as you.. AND the exact same time! I can't wait to meet you and Callie... maybe we can set up some walk times!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That will be greyt! I asked dh and Rhiannon to double check the dog signs at the ballfield and they both said that the only sign there was the one when you walk past the wooden fence portion onto the track - it says "Please Clean Up after YOur Pet"

See you next Saturday!

Do you have a fenced in yard? If not you can always use our yard. Not huge but fenced!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

not fenced - yet! the pool area is fenced but there is no grass and don't want her pads getting messed up. Dhand I are toying with the idea of fencing a part of the yard in. Thank you for the offer we'll have to get together with the greys.

Laurie,

I've got about 1/2 acre fenced in the back. Come on over any time. I'm retired and I'm around most of the time.

Paul Lepkowski

29 Brandy Lane

845-226-9059

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

I've got about 1/2 acre fenced in the back. Come on over any time. I'm retired and I'm around most of the time.

Paul Lepkowski

29 Brandy Lane

845-226-9059

Hi Bill..not Laurie..but another local..wow..small world... when my DD was little she had friend that lived on Brandy Lane!

I love the name "Elmo"...was that your grey's "given" name or one you chose? Do you ever walk over at the town park near the airport? DH sometimes goes there... (he takes Minty out most every evening..and most afternoons on the weekend).. sometimes I get the feeling he'd love to "greychat" with a "greyDad".

Linda & Minty

Hi Linda,

You and your husband are welcome to come over anytime too.

Elmo's name was Mo's Elmo, Bill was Arjo's Dollarbill.

I've never walked around at the park near the airport. I don't walk much at all anymore ... my legs no longer work very well. But my hounds go almost everywhere with me. If you see a Chevy Suburban, or a red Caddy or a black Caddy with a big white hound and a smaller brindle hound in the back ... that's me. Flag me down and say hello.

Guest celticfairiemom

Which vet practice do you use?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We used to take Boomer to Billings Animal Hospital so I made a "meet the girl" appt. for Callie for Friday. They tell me they know and understand greys so we'll see. I loved them with Boomer - he HATED all dogs and most people not directly related to him, so anyone he loved was good enough for me.

The vet I wanted to use his hours do not work for us (close at 5pm, sub vet on Saturdays). I am in Newburgh.. I dont like Flannery's.. Since we moved we have been going to Hudson Highlands, so far so good. I find them very expensive (please keep in mind we came from Staten Island, so I was just shocked how much more it was)..

Guest celticfairiemom

Since we moved we have been going to Hudson Highlands, so far so good. I find them very expensive (please keep in mind we came from Staten Island, so I was just shocked how much more it was)..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the things I especially liked at Billings - they *never try to "sell" you on anything you might not want. I also think their prices are reasonable. I don't know what a regular meet the girl appt. would cost but I'll let you know what I get charged on friday!

I have a friend who is a vet tech at Hudson Highlands. Shannon. Do you know her?

I think we have met a Shannon. We love the vet techs there. The vets im okay with. The vet we used in Staten Island I loved!! I mean I wanted to cry when we moved. This place seems okay but not the same as what I was used to. Jack had a pinched nerve and was screaming I called for a Saturday app (it started on a Friday night late) and they didnt really have time to fit us in. I pushed until they got us in.. However at Staten Island Vet they would have said yes come in and we will figure out when to squeeze you in. I never mind waiting. I was just taken back we chose that group because they are open on weekends and not a head to the evet practice. They made me feel like I was calling to get his nails clipped on a crazy Saturday...

None of the Dutchess County vets are very knowledgeable about greyhounds.

Dr James Garner, Ark Animal Hospital, 188 Cottage St., Poughkeepsie, 845-486-7670, seems to be willing to listen and learn about them.

Hudson Highlands has an office manager named Cornell. She was active in adoption years ago. They also have one vet who is at least familar with sighthounds. If you go there try to speak to Mrs. Cornell and ask her which vet to get appointments with. They have three offices in Beacon, Wicopee and Hopewell and about a dozen vets.

For anything serious I go to Dr. Marty Freidman, A & A Vet Hosp, 414 Franklin Ave., Franklin Square, NY. This guy does neutering for both Grateful Greyhounds and Long Island Greyhound Transfer, two high volume groups on Long Island. He anesthetizes at least ten greyhounds every week and hasn't lost one to anesthezia shock or malignent hypo thermia in at least a year.

The former track vet at the Bridgeport track has a private practise down on the CT coast, but I'm not sure of his location.

Edited by plepkowski

One can learn a lot from Paul, he knows a tremendous amount about greyhounds and other things :)

Wow, thanks a lot Audrey :bow2 .... but I'm so old now I've forgotten more than I once knew.

Still, if you want to know anything about the electronics equipment on a Boeing 747 I can probably remember some of it. :bs

Awww heck, if I can't remember it anymore I'll just invent something, nobody will ever be any the wiser! :brick

Edited by plepkowski

Which vet practice do you use?

We use East Fishkill A.H... primarily Dr. Kilner but sometimes his wife..though I can't remember her name at the moment Dr. W?? :blink: Also..the owner of the clinic..Dr. McCord. Started with them when we adopted Moon in '98. I've been especially fortunate; we've never had to use an e-vet.

The one time that we had an off hours emergency we got put thru to Dr. M. When I began to describe his symptoms..(vomiting black stuff)..he told me "get him here NOW"..(11:30 pm). It was rat poisoning.. we don't how he got it..but it was iffy for the next 48 hours..But they pulled him thru..

they kept us well informed; and we were always welcome to drop by to visit.

During Moon's final days he wasn't in a crate..no..they made a puffy bed for him on the floor of the surgery..Dr. K said that Moon was missing us and scared..and this way he could talk to him..and he'd have a window to look out of. I'll always appreciate the compassion he and his staff showed both to Moon and to us..his family. Coincidently..it'll be 2 years tomorrow that Moon went to the bridge.

So for Minty..there's no question what vet we'd use.. they always are good about getting us in if there's a problem..or calling with test results. I stop by with Minty every now and then just to get her weighed and everyone is always pleasant.

As for prices... I'm not really sure what is considered high or what is low. I know that she's my third grey and they've taken good care of all of them. At times that I've known that because of the breed something might be different..(anesthesia, e.g.), he's always brought it up before I get my mouth open.

Linda & Minty

(I miss you, my little Moonpie! :( )

Guest celticfairiemom

I'll let you know what I get charged on friday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

we're back from Callie's first vet visit. He loved her - she loved him. Everyone in the office had to pet her and love on her and ask me a ton of questions about her. He asked me questions, I asked him questions and we were both satisfied that the other knew what they were doing when it came to greys. He told me that if he doesn't know the answer he does not guess, he has colleagues he can call to find out. He is not a "give them meds first and then lets see" what else we can do type. The bill went like this: rescue dog exam - $0, 7 months of frontline plus - $77 6 months of heartgard plus chewable - $50. It took us 45 minutes fro start to finish - no waiting, it was because everyone was having such a great time with her.I went to petmeds.com and saw that although I paid more for the heartguard I paid less for the frontline.

Guest Javagirl

Hiya,

We're in Queens County but spend our weekends in Ulster County (Kingston/Woodstock area) where I'm originally from. Let us know if you'll be at a Meet N Greet or have time to play. We often go to Poet's Walk in Rhinebeck or out to Hyde Park. We also adopted from GRR, some of the best greyhound heroes out there.

Kristyn and Ladd

Guest celticfairiemom

I love both Rhinebeck and Woodstock. I remember over the summer thinking it was a great place to walk with your dog - we didn't have our old guy anymore but there were so many there it was fun watching them. Definitely PM me if your up this way once the weather gets nicer!