Scooter Had 2 Major Seizures Last Night

Guest Nutmeg1

Guest Nutmeg1

Does anyone know what other meds are out there for seizure control besides potassium bromide and pheno? Scooter does not do very well on either. I have talked to Dr. B, and there may be more options for him than these two. Any ideas?

Join www.canine-epilepsy.com forum for great information plus Dr William Thomas neurologist oversees the info. There are a couple of other options, gabapentin and keppra for instance. :kiss2 sorry you and your furkid are going thru this.

anneh

Edited by anneh

gabapentin is another option.

How long has he been on KBr and Ph? It can take a while to get the dosage right to get the right levels in his blood. If you've had his levels tested recently and he was not at the high end of therapeutic, I'd try upping dosages first. If it hasn't been done in a while, I'd check his levels before adding in another drug

www.canine-epilepsy.com

www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com

Both web sites have good descriptions of the available medications and other approaches to managing seizures. If Pb and KBr and not giving you good seizure control for Scooter or are creating difficult side effects, I'd encourage you to get an appointment with a neurologist (apologies if you've done this already). They are the experts in balancing meds and in dealing with seizures. www.acvim.org will help you find a neurologist. There are several other meds that can be used, though they are generally added on to Pb and KBr. Certainly they might be used alone if there are reasons that a dog can't take the good old standbys. A veterinary neurologist is going to be your most knowledgeable resource for using those meds. Gabapentin (Neurontin), Keppra, and Zonisimide seem to be the meds that are most often mentioned.

ETA: One other thought after re-reading your earlier thread about Scooter's troubles with the meds...KBr is notorious for upsetting tummies for some dogs. Often a switch to Sodium Bromide, NaBr, helps tremendously. The dog gets the seizure control of bromide with fewer upset tummy issues. It also has to be obtained from a compounding pharmacy but if they can make KBr, then they can make NaBr. I think the dosing is a little different too. That might be worth a try.

Lucy

Edited by LBass

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.