Swollen Back Feet

Guest amberj002

Guest amberj002

we went to the dog park this morning to play in the snow. We got a fresh 4 or 5 inches yesterday and that is on top of 22 or so inches that has melted and frozen some. We came home with one hound that was fine and one that had a lot of cuts and scrapes on his feet, especially on his back feet. He has cuts and scrapes and they are swollen/puffy just on the lower portion of his legs, around the feet/ankle area. He isn't limping and doesn't pull back when I move them or look at them. We haven't been to the park for several weeks and this is the first time we have gone in the snow. I am not sure what caused it other than just being irritated? Is there anything I can do to help with the swelling?

Thanks!

You could try cold compresses. I wouldn't be too concerned unless you don't see improvement with the swelling by tomorrow. My guys have gotten the little cuts and scraps from the crusty snow, I've never noticed the swelling though, but it makes sense.

No advice on the swelling.

For the cuts and cracks I use Zims Crack Creme (you can find it at Walmart, Walgrens, Mortons and I think Target).

Clark's feet crack badly in the winter snow unless I use this. I put it when we come back in from snow zoomies in the yard (he usually has small cuts or cracks).

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

How is your hound today? This happened to Merlin several weeks ago, when we got our first snow since last winter, and he played in it for a while. The next day he was back to normal. As a preventative, I put Musher's Secret on his paws twice a day (you don't have to use it that often) when snow or ice (and salt) are on the ground, and in the summer on very hot days to protect his paws from the hot asphalt.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.