Mystery Gas

Does anyone know about a bacteria that produces gas from a bite wound?

a friend has a grey, 5 yrs, who was the unlucky recipient of a bite from another grey. It was a "clean" puncture and it is healing well... however, the vet was concerned that he felt some, for lack of a better word, crackle-ie, bubble-ie feel around the wound. So within a one day, bacteria started to produce a GAS that has continued until now he has a HUGE,, i mean HUGE, it covers most of his hind quarters!!! HUGE GAS POCKET!!!!

The the doggie is on a strong anti-biotic, (sorry I don't know what kind) and the gas is still growing.... He is eating, playing, wants treats etc,, his attitude is very good,, except for the GAS POCKET that continues to grow....

We would love to know what to do for this. I would think the GAS should be let out, somehow. the wound is healing, so "pushing" the gas out that wound hole seams out of the question. drains, or cuts in the skin. as awful as that sounds,,, i don't know, and the vet seems to think as long as the dog is happy, the gas will eventually go away, but the gas pocket is lifting the skin so much, that i wonder if the skin will survive?

your thoughts on this is appreciated as this has now gone on for a week and the gas pocket is not going away.

Thanks!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I thought it was just trapped air under the skin. did the dog have drains for the wound? when it happened to my dog, I just lightly pushed the skin toward the drain and it escaped that way...although, I would assume it just gets absorbed after a while. I know with my dog she only had the crackling for one day.

I've never heard of it getting that big though

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Yes, some bacteria produce gas, but if your vet isn't concerned, I guess I wouldn't worry since your dog is on antibiotics already. Does the vet know that it has been getting bigger? Maybe give your vet a call just to make sure he/she doesn't want to do anything else. Good luck!

ETA: I just remembered that you can get gas gangrene as well...but it seems that there would be a lot of other symptoms if this was the case, and you said the dog is acting fine and the wound looks ok?

Edited by Brooker914

Guest alannamac

Contact the vet and make sure they know that this is getting bigger. I just did an internet search and lots of organisms produce gas.....it could be that the antibiotic being given is not effective and a switch is needed.

I found this on PubMed which is a search of human medicine articles: (the bacterium clostridium mentioned is the gas gangrene someone else posted about......but this is not necessarily what is causing the gas in this case.....anyway, I'd march this pup into the vet asap for a visual inspection)

Gas in the wound: what does it mean?Nichols RL, Smith JW.

Gas-forming infections on the surgical service are usually due to anaerobic microorganisms such as clostridia, peptostreptococci or bacteroides, or to one of the aerobic coliforms. Factors that predispose to the development of gas infections include lower extremity vascular disease and diabetes mellitus. Early treatment based on the inital Gram-stain study as well as the clinical presentation is helpful in reducing tissue losses and increasing overall survival. Treatment for nonclostridial gas infections includes prompt adequate surgical debridement and appropriate parenteral antibiotics. When available, hyperbaric oxygen should be added to the treatment plan in all extensive clostridial infections.

PMID: 1198287 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

From the Journal :

1: Surg Clin North Am. 1975 Dec;55(6):1289-96.Links

Gas in the wound: what does it mean?