Jump to content

Do You Think She Will Be Ok?


Recommended Posts

My cats got two furry toy mice for Christmas, and Delta just ate the two toys. Each toy is maybe 1.5 inches long and 1 inch wide with a little tail, covered in this soft fur and stuffed with a cardboard type material. Do you think this is going to be a problem? Or should she pass these ok? I tried hydrogen peroxide, and she spit it out, gagged a few times, then nothing. Thanks for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She will be fine, especially if the body is cardboard.

 

We have learned to keep cat toys waaaaaay out of hound reach.

 

CatToy.jpg

 

ETA: Hydrogen peroxide tastes NASTY, so they will always spit it out unless you pour it directly down their throats.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She should be fine. Look for it to come out or for signs of discomfort.

 

If the hydrogen peroxide didn't make her vomit it's probably out of date. I started buying a new bottle each time I change the clocks and replace the smoke detector batteries. The bottle ALWAYS goes out of date before it's empty in my house.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dannie ate several a year or so ago. I thought I was being clever by putting toys found under the couch in a basket on a bookshelf behind a table. The crunching caught my attention and as quickly as I could get them away from her she would grab another. Duh. She survived. The basket was moved, and the cats have stored all 30+ of the remaining mice safely under the couch again. Dannie is raw fed and can digest anything, but those mice aren't sharp or hard and your pup should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest greytexplorer

Now I am not as worried about my hounds being able to "pass" something they ate, as much as I am worried about lead in the paint/dyes if the item was made in China.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if the paint/dye in the toy contained lead, what would be the symptoms?

Just wondering, and REALLY hope everything comes out all right in the end for Delta!!!! :)

pun intended! :nod

Edited by greytexplorer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lead is a neurological poison and is cumulative. That is to say, you can ingest a small, sub-toxic dose without symptoms, but it stays in the body, and if you ingest more in the future, it all adds up until you have a toxic dose and symptoms will show. Symptoms include shaking and staggering, drooling, stomach upset, blindness and seizures. You'd have to get a lot of lead for the last two symptoms though. Lack of co-ordination would likely be the first thing, or vomiting/big D. Luckily it can be dealt with by chelation therapy if the dose isn't lethal. And it's easily detectable on a blood test.

 

 

Sadly, there are a lot of other poisonous substances which may or may not be in an item from China. I'd keep a close eye on Delta and watch for anything out of the ordinary.

 

I hope shes OK! :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Turbo has eaten several of those. The ones he ate had plastic inside, though. He threw up the plastic, but digested the hair and leather just fine. If the insides of yours were cardboard, my guess is that it'll disolve and turn pasty, like cardboard does, and you shouldn't have a problem.


Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the others....likely nothing to worry about but do keep a close eye on her. They should pass through eventually and if they were coloured mice, you will likely see some funny coloured stool due to the dye. Again...nothing too worry about.

 

I should add....when you keep an eye on her....you are looking for symptoms such as vomiting, excessive diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, pain symptoms, etc. These are signs it may not be moving through very well and if any of them prolong I would get her to the vet asap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well today Delta had some lovely colored stools! I could see pieces of the dyed fur, and some of the cardboard bits, so it looks like most if not all of the mice has passed through. Thanks everyone for the advice and reassurance! I'll keep watching out for any odd behavior just in case, but looks like all will be ok!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She will be fine, especially if the body is cardboard.

 

We have learned to keep cat toys waaaaaay out of hound reach.

 

CatToy.jpg

 

ETA: Hydrogen peroxide tastes NASTY, so they will always spit it out unless you pour it directly down their throats.

 

 

Flossie has eaten this kind of mouse. I found the plastic body on the floor, but I wasn't sure who ate the fur, Floss or Kerri, well on our walks Floss pooped green for two days, dead give away :) Kitty doesn't get mice to play with anymore :(

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Redpack

For future reference, I add salt-free boulion to the peroxide when I need to get the dogs to take it. I feel guilty as heck while I watch them lap it up...knowing what it is going to do, but it works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...