Loose Poops In Our New Boy

Guest zippsmum

Guest zippsmum

x-posted in food and dietary

Hi all,

I have a question as we never had this issue with our last grey.

Our new boy has been home just over a week, we have kept him on the food he was eating, eagle pack, and all was fine with poops until yesterday at 5 am, when he asked to go outside and he had a loose stool. He is still having these today, I added cooked white rice to his supper and to his breakfast today, but he has just gone outside to make another watery stool. I think that there was a bit of blood in one of them. I am wondering what could possibly be causing this, he is hungry, happy, bouncy, his usual self, he just wants to go out about five or six times a day to have these liquid poos.....

Any thoughts?

Guest ProudGreyMom

Congrats on your new grey :)

First off I would get a sample and take it to the vet just to be sure all is okay, unless you just had everything checked.

Canned, plain pumkin works well with the loose, runny stool. Just about a tablespoon mixed in with the food. New greys are often nervous and will have loose poo and/or gas.

Our grey had tapeworm when we got him. Although the adoption group (GRA) treated with a general worm medication, apparently it doesn't work on tapes. I'd have a stool sample tested if I were you (it's not expensive, just ask the vet it you can drop off a sample without an office visit).

Other than that, it may just be the stress of the adjustment to a new home, routine, people, etc. Many greys (and dogs in general) get upset tummies when they are stressed.

Guest Tenderhearts

In addition to taking a stool sample in, I'd fast him for 24 hours, then start him off with something like some boiled chicken/rice, then gradually reintroduce his usual food.

If there's blood in the stool, he's definitely irritated in his intestines.

Give his gut a chance to rest :)

I would have him checked again for worms. I had a little foster girl who was fine for two weeks and then developed raging "squirts". I can't remember now if it was whip- or roundworms but a good dose from the vet helped her almost immediately. I use canned pumpkin with some rice and that usually does the trick. He's probably also in an adjustment stage but I'd still get another worm test done.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest LindsaySF
In addition to taking a stool sample in, I'd fast him for 24 hours, then start him off with something like some boiled chicken/rice, then gradually reintroduce his usual food.

If there's blood in the stool, he's definitely irritated in his intestines.

Give his gut a chance to rest :)

:thumbs-up