Nail Clipper Recommendations, Please

Guest KnoxGreytMommy

Guest KnoxGreytMommy

I am looking for a high-quality nail clipper, suitable for large and small dogs, with a guard. I use a dremel, but I would also like a clipper I can trust. On-line searches show the same thing over and over, especially Millers Forge. What else is available? Anything from overseas? What do the professionals use?

Thanks! Four dogs will appreciate your input (2 greys, 1 mini-Schnauzer, 1 GSD mix pound puppy).

Natalie

Guest KnoxGreytMommy
I have two pair of Millers Forge and they're the best I've found. I bought two other brands (sequentially) that didn't pass the greyhound toenail test. The large MFs are #767. If you find something better, please share, but Millers forge are great.

Cynthia, does the 767 have a guard? If not, do you find this to be a problem? My guys can be a skittish, especially if I cut into the quick. If I do, we all get nervous.

Natalie

No, no guard, but that doesn't keep you from cutting into the quick anyway, right? It would keep you from cutting more than a certain fraction of an inch at a time.... Take little nips unless you can see the quick. If your pups have black nails, put a flash light underneath so that you can see where the quick is. Then keep your eyes on the prize and clip!

Edited by Cynthia

Guest greycious_gal

Miller's Forge here. They were recommended to me by a GTer at the beginning of my greyhound experience. I have had the same pair for all this time, and they haven't needed to be sharpened, or thrown out, or banged against anything in frustration. (Always a good sign, right?)

Learning to trim nails is more art than anything else, I find. Some hints I've gotten in the past:

Either learn to "read" the nail and clip once, or prepare for a longer ordeal in smaller snips.

If you can't see the quick well enough, try putting mineral oil (or any food grade oil) on the nails before clipping.

Have your styptic (sp?) powder ready to go before you clip a nail.

Treats or peanut butter always makes nail trims better! ;)

Know if your hound is better standing up or laying down while being clipped...that can make all the difference.

Dremeling, if your hound tolerated it, is a wonderful thing. :D

You probably know this and twelve other nail clipping tricks. I just thought I would post for those learning by reading this.

Guest KnoxGreytMommy

Thanks so much, everyone, for the information. Now I've got a great excuse to go to Petsmart tomorrow. Then I'll tranquilize me or the dogs or maybe both and have at it.