Carly Slipped While Running & Hurt Her Leg

Guest SillyDog

Guest SillyDog

She was running around in the yard, turned a corner too fast and her right leg slid out from under her. She got up right away but yelped in pain and didn't want to use the leg. I examined it and didn't feel anything wrong, but I'm no expert. That was about 3.5 hours ago. I gave her some Metacam with her supper. Anyway, she's now limping on the leg and walking very slowly.

If she's still limping tomorrow am should I take her in, or is this something that I could just continue the painkiller and watch for a day or two?

Thanks for any input!

If it were me, I would wait until morning and see how it looks UNLESS......there is a gross amount of swelling and/or bleeding on/under the surface of the skin. This could be a sign of a possible break and would therefore require urgent treatment. I would keep a close eye on it and see how it progresses. Ice any areas that show swelling and/or heat. That should keep the swelling down and make her more comfortable. If she is the same or worse in the morning I would consider taking her in. Just do what you are comfortable with. If you aren't going to sleep at all tonight or tomorrow due to stressing then I would take her in just for ease of mind. Hope she is feeling better soon. :goodluck

Guest SillyDog

I can't feel any swelling or inflammation/heat, so I'm really hoping is a soft tissue problem. I don't think she's in pain if she's lying down. It looks like I'll be taking her in tomorrow , however, unless she magically heals overnight.

Thanks, everyone who's replied so far!

I would take her in tomorrow, and not give any more pain meds until the vet sees her.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I would have already, but that's me.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Personally I give them 24-48 hours to see how/if it heals. No reason to go to the vet if the limping is gone in a day or two. If there is no swelling and she's not yelping when you touch it, you can probably wait a day or two. I'd leash walk her so she doesn't pull it further. This happened to Fenway last weekend when it snowed, and he was fine within 2 days.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest SillyDog

Well, she's fine this am. There's no swelling or inflammation and she's walking normally. I'll keep an eye on it, of course, and I'll make sure she doesn't do yard zoomies for a few more days.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I usually wait a couple of days if there is no visible bleeding or swelling. I wouldn't give painkillers though, it could mask the symptoms and the hound could be fooled into feeling better and potentially aggravate the injury.

I hope Carly is all healed by now!

Guest dwolfe711

Our little imp Ellie does this occasionally - she is so tiny and she runs like the wind and when she makes her cuts - sometimes her body just goes faster than her legs and she goes down - you'd think she broke something the way she acts - but usually within a few hours she's walking just fine again - it's hard to get her to slow down - she just loves to run - frankly, I think they made a mistake when they didn't send her for race training - she can keep up with our 85-lb male, Ripley, and he had a 2.5 year racing career. But then again, she avoided all that regimen in her life and that has allowed her perky and impish character to come out!!

Donna