Urine Protien Levels & Raw Feeding

Guest kick

Guest outofsighthound

Hi, just started adding on raw chicken, beef, quail, rabbit to my girls kibble about two months ago. She just had her annual blood, stool, unrine tests done. She is a very happy, energetic almost 9 year old.

Blood and stool look good. Urine came back with high protien levels and elivated white blood cells (Chloe has this off and on - per vet review of her records). Vet said he is not too concerned overall. Could the elevated protein levels be caused from the raw add ons? Maybe I'm feeding her too much per day of the raw. She is not overweight, actually a bit hungrier so we beefed up the kibble for the winter.

I was going to stop raw add ons for a week and re-do urine test....thoughts? Thanks!

From what I understand, it takes a long time of a lot of stuff to adversely affect blood values through diet. If she's happy, otherwise healthy & has had a history of these readings, I wouldn't stop raw feeding. If your vet is not concerned, then I wouldn't worry.

Mmm, my guys say quail :chow , never had that before!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Our big guy Teddy's numbers have actually improved in the 18 months or so that we have been raw. :)

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

We've been through this with both of ours. First they got concerned about Jack with high creatinine levels. We did a protein:creatinine test and he's fine. I told the vet he's being fed partially raw and he said he's not worried, that's almost certainly what has skewed the values.

Recently Renie came up with high protein in a urine test - '+++' on a dipstick. We retested, talked about infection and the possibility of kidney problems (she will be nine later this month) and finally did a geriatric blood panel and the protein:creatinine test and she too is fine. I actually asked them to do the protein:creatinine test right off the bat but it was a weekend and they can't do that in-house, they have to send it away so they asked to do it another time. :rolleyes:

If in doubt, the protein:creatinine test is a better indicator of the balance of things and if there's a kidney issue. In your case, the elevated white count might have indicated an infection in the urinary tract. Some people have had good results treating with an appropriate antibiotic even without symptoms, just on that white count.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest outofsighthound
We've been through this with both of ours. First they got concerned about Jack with high creatinine levels. We did a protein:creatinine test and he's fine. I told the vet he's being fed partially raw and he said he's not worried, that's almost certainly what has skewed the values.

Recently Renie came up with high protein in a urine test - '+++' on a dipstick. We retested, talked about infection and the possibility of kidney problems (she will be nine later this month) and finally did a geriatric blood panel and the protein:creatinine test and she too is fine. I actually asked them to do the protein:creatinine test right off the bat but it was a weekend and they can't do that in-house, they have to send it away so they asked to do it another time. :rolleyes:

If in doubt, the protein:creatinine test is a better indicator of the balance of things and if there's a kidney issue. In your case, the elevated white count might have indicated an infection in the urinary tract. Some people have had good results treating with an appropriate antibiotic even without symptoms, just on that white count.

Thank you. Her generic blood panel came back fine- . I am taking her off raw for one week to retest urine.

I appreciate all the posts. Love GT for medical issues!