Cowboys Nails

Guest minnie

My best friend Cowboy has had a rough few weeks all his nail are falling off and pads are swollen, we have gone to the vet he is on meds 3 times a day plus Omega 3 and Vit B it is so painful he has 3 nails left to come off he is so strong but me Ifeel so bad. Now with 3 left to come off with the quicks showing it is gross! :weep:sick I thought about soaking them is there any suggestions from anyone, with suffering from seizures all I can do is give him lots of love.Thanks

I don't want to worry you but you should talk to your vet about pemphigus. It can affect the nails and cause similar symptoms as to what you are describing.

Hugs for you and Cowboy,

Sheila

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

I'm hoping one of the meds that your dog is on is prednisone, as others have stated. Hope he's feeling better soon.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Hope Cowboy's feet feel better soon. It definitely sounds like SLO. Prednisone will immediately help symptoms if it't not contraindicated because of seizures.

Check with your vet because of seizures, but vitamin E and CoQ 10 are really helpful in getting symptoms under control. It takes a few weeks, but you will see a difference.

Guest vahoundlover

Yep, Buster is on all 3. I read somewhere that diet/food allergies could be a contributer, maybe in The Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound? We brought back a girlie this past summer from the track that has SLO, her nails look so much better now.

• 1 month later...
Guest mazeybeauty
:rolleyes: My 8 year old grey started losing nails last June. He lost them all except one dew claw. The Vet had him on 20 mg Prednisone twice/day for a while and we weaned him down to 20 mg twice/week. He lost another nail about 2 months ago but nothing since. We also have him on 3V Caps 2 pumps twice/day and he is doing well. The plan is to try to wean him off the prednisone in the future. At the worst part of this whole ordeal he lost about 14 pounds. He is back up to 93 pounds (mostly from stealing our female grey's food, partly from the prednisone) so we are trying to watch his weight. I REALY did not want him on Prednisone but feel that it really nipped his SLO in the bud!! If your guy can tolerate it, it might be worth a try. I know all about the nightmare of keeping 4 paws wrapped up. Someone suggested buying white toddler socks to put over the dressings. I got a bag of them, put them over the dressings and if he accidently peed on his paws or got a lot of dirt on them they were easily changed (with a little soap and bleach they are as good as new).Good luck with Cowboy.