Katie, My Mom's Golden Retriever

Guest RedsMommy

Guest RedsMommy

Katie "the wonder dog"

Katie was the dog we never set out to get. It was the summer before my senior year of high school that she came into our lives. One of my uncle’s long time friends raises Golden Retrievers and had 2 puppies left from a litter. He was planning to keep one, but wanted to sell the other. My mom decided to go see the puppies and decided that we all, but especially my brothers (both teenagers at the time) needed a dog. It was love at first site and she came home to live with us. My brother named her Katie, after a friend of mine who he had a crush on ;)

Katie was the best dog we could have ever hoped for. She was a constant companion and friend through some very rough patches in our lives. She was there for many illnesses and surgeries and recoveries. She was there when my parents’ marriage fell apart and through the bitter divorce. She was there through so many good times and bad times, always ready to snuggle up, give a hug, or make you laugh with her silly antics. Heck, after I went away to college some of my friends who stayed in the area would go over to visit and play with Katie!

She was a best friend to all of us, but especially to my mom. When my mom went through some severe depression leading up to, during and after the divorce, Katie was a constant for her. She was there when my mom found a new love and he moved in and added the Weiner dogs to the family. When they got their most recent addition, a Weiner puppy, Katie turned into a puppy herself playing. What a site that was, a wee Weiner puppy and a big Golden Retriever playing tug or chasing each other around. My sister went through a lot with the divorce and Katie was always there for her too.

I can’t believe she faded so fast. Saturday morning my mom called to delay our brunch plans saying she was taking Katie to the vet because she was very sick. Nothing had been wrong until that morning. Sure, she was slowing down, but she was almost 11 so that was to be expected. She had dropped some weight, but mom was upping her food. But, Saturday morning she started vomiting at 5am all of her dinner from the night before, undigested. She vomited several times and wouldn’t drink or even get up to go outside. Something was wrong. A little while later my mom called me in tears saying the vet said Katie was in heart failure. She had fluid around her heart, fluid in her abdomen, low blood pressure, and her heart was racing. Without further tests, they couldn’t be certain, but she showed signs of liver failure too. The choices were to give her some meds to help with the fluid, but she likely wouldn’t regain her strength and would fade fast, try for further testing, or let her go. My brother, sister and I went to the clinic to be with my mom and help make the decision. We were all there and collectively decided to help her to the bridge. She had lost a lot of weight (more than any of us thought from looking at her) and wasn’t herself. She lifted her head and wagged her tail when we came in the room, but made no attempts to get up, didn’t do her happy whiney noises, or anything. All she wanted was to be hugged and loved on, and we did that. Her eyes told us she was so tired and was ready; we could see her fading before our eyes in the time we were in the room. We know we did the right thing, but that doesn’t make it any easier. We were all sobbing, especially my mom. We held her as she left us and told her how grateful we were for her.

Walking out of the clinic with her collar and leash, but no Katie was so hard. We sent her out to be cremated and she will be home with my mom soon. I know this has been hard on all of us, but especially my mom. Sunday was her birthday and she certainly didn’t want this, but bringing Katie home and having her suffer would have been much worse. We all just wish my other brother had been there too. But, he’s in Iraq so that wasn’t an option.

Goodbye Katie girl. We love and miss you so much. You were the best friend we could have ever hoped for and each day you were with us was a gift. We’ll see you again soon, but until then play ‘til your heart’s content. Run around with all the balls and shoes and socks you can find. Do your happy dance and find lots of friends to love on you. Take yourself for long walks and run around crazy like you used to do each night in the yard. Find Sadie, our miniature schnauzer who passed before you, she will help to show you around.

I don’t have any pictures with me at work, but I’ll post one tonight so you can see how beautiful she was.

Guest GreytMuse

My deepest condolences on the loss of Katie.

I share a home with a 10 year old Golden, and I know what unconditional love, loyalty and companionship they offer. They are a very special breed, and enrich the lives of all they touch. You all were lucky to have had one another.

Edited by GreytMuse

I'm so sorry. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg