Having Thyroid Panel Done

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

As you may know from my thread in the behavior section, we are having problems with Lexy with some seemingly "fear"/aggression issues. So, I am taking Lexy to the vet on Monday to have blood drawn for a full Thyroid Panel to be done. (to rule this in or out). My vet said it could be done in house, or sent out to a lab. Does anyone have any advice on this? Do you know the best lab to send the blood to? I do not know which lab he uses currently.

We will also be working with a behaviorist, regardless of the blood work. Our first meeting is on the Monday after Thanksgiving.

Please wish us luck! ;)

Fingers crossed that there is a logical easy fixable solution.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

From another of my rambling diatribes in this forum:

Note that with any thyroid testing you have performed, there is a difference between labs. Most vets will go with a national service, like IDEXX. The problem is that "normal" greyhound numbers can be as low as the detection limits on most thyroid tests. Michigan State University's veterinary diagnostic lab performs the test via dialysis, which is considered sensitive enough to achieve the desired resolution for sighthound levels. I think it's their test 20010 ($39):

http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.ex...oid&Id=1388

It may also be their premium test, 20011 ($55):

http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.ex...oid&Id=1427

Add on $4 for an endocrinology interpretation by a veterinary endocrinologist with an understanding of sighthounds:

http://animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.ex...ion&Id=1953

The "regular" test (20010) can be shipped without refrigeration, via Priority Mail. The 20011 requires iced shipping with USPS Express or similar shipping.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Yep, get the premium panel from MSU. The only thing they can do in-house is a T4, which is relatively useless (can vary a LOT from day to day, and can be low for reasons other than a true thyroid problem).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.