Bodyheat Of Greyhounds?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but the reason I am asking is cause my vet thinks Henry may be Hypothyroid. I just adopted Henry a week ago and I think most of his symptoms are due to the pheno he is on. I know one symptom of Hypothyroidism is they feel cold to the touch. Henry's belly (and almost all of the rest of his body) is completely deviod of body heat. But then again, being a greyhound mix, he has no hair there. Are greyhounds generally colder to the touch than most breeds? Our other dog, an american eskimo mix has a nice warm toasty stomach, but he also has gobs and gobs of extremely long shaggy hair.

So basically what I am asking, is when you touch your greyhounds when they are in a normal temperature room, do you feel body heat on them?

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest Tenderhearts

Randy's usually like a heater, even on his hairless belly :)

The one place I do notice that can be cool to the touch (in the mornings) are his ears.

My Chloe is hypothyroid and is on meds. She is always radiates heat though and so do my non hypothyroid pups. If your vet has any doubts, is he doing a FULL thyroid panel???

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne

He said he did a full thyroid panel, but yet he did not check the TSH. Henry's T4 is low.

Robin, did your Chloe radiate heat before being put on the meds?

Most greyhounds feel extremely warm to the touch. People often comment on it.

If mine feel cold to the touch, especially inside their ears or their feet, they usually ARE cold. What were his thyroid values? Was the lab using a greyhound reference range?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest EmilyAnne

Okey doke, we just called the vet. We bumped up our other dog's dental by a month (for $ purposes, was supposed to be on Nov. 19th) and made an appt. for Henry to have Thyroid Stimulating Hormones checked. This is something that our vet will do through MSU. The more I think about it, the more I think he is Hypothyroid. The only symptom he does not display is hair loss on the tail and trunk as I have heard described to often be a symptom. He just has his regular greyhound baldness on tummy and some down the legs.

Unfortunately it takes 5-7 business days to get the results of the THS test! :o Henry's appt. is on Monday. Meanwhile I shall keep Henry all snuggledy in under blankies. :blush

I'll take a picture and post it right now.....

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry is approx. 7-9 yrs old. He is greyhound/coonhound. He is such a blessing and we are so glad he is here! He came home Oct. 27th. The other one you see is Riley. He is an American Eskimo mix. He has been a part of our family for 12 yrs. He recently lost a lifetime companion, our pointer mix, Alfalfa, who passed on Sept. 27th. Riley has shown quite a bit of affection to Henry, and Henry has shown some back. :wub: I try to catch pictures of them nuzzling each other but by the time I get my camera turned on, I missed it! :rolleyes::lol:

Oh, and I live in Michigan. :)

Guest greytexplorer

Oh, MICHIGAN! Now I understand the pressing need for snuggly warm blankies! :lol

(I had a pointer, Sally, that I was fostering for a vet. We failed fostering. Vet was very happy. I still miss my Sally. She was smart and CRAZY.)

Both Mandy and Ester are on soloxine 6mg/day for hypothyroid. Mandy is still bald, as you mentioned, but Ester is not so much. I have another friend whose dog Fit was recently put on soloxine 6mg/2xday and he is a changed pup! He always acted tired. Just wanted to go inside and get on the couch when several of us would get together for a playdate at her house. In fact, we were together the other night, and Fit and Mandy were playing some sort of courtship game of chase, like they were lovebirds. We are all amazed at Fit----better living thru chemistry!! :thumbs-up

Guest BlackandBrindle

Just wanted to say that your pups are adorable!

You might also want to try jammies to keep him warm ;) They have the added benefit of being ADORABLE as well :D

Guest EmilyAnne

I'm actualy hoping Henry is hypothyroid, cause then maybe he will spunk up after some time on meds. And maybe this explains his seizures he had all along. I am waiting to hear back from some of the foster homes he was in, and REGAP as to wether or not he had ever had a full thyroid panel done. If not, then maybe this was the problem all along and the Soloxine may fix everything!!! :) He was in rescues for two years, and was in many foster homes. I worry Henry thinks we are just another foster and eventually he will have to be moved again. But he is not, he is here FOREVER!!!!!!

I am hoping if he is hypothyroid, we can work on very slowly weaning Henry off pheno and Kbr and see if all he needed was Soloxine. I am looking into taurine as well, and other homeopathic remedies. I have considered raw, but keep teetering tottering on that. My vet does not like the idea of raw. :(

Have I told you how much I just love Henry? :wub:

Just wanted to say that your pups are adorable!

You might also want to try jammies to keep him warm ;) They have the added benefit of being ADORABLE as well :D

I have been drooling over those cute jammies, especially the ones from needlenose apparel that cover all 4 legs! But I gotta pay vet bills first. :( Our dear Alfalfa passed away in Sept. and a vet tab was run up in his last few days. Hopefully soon we can afford some! :)

Emily- Yes, she was always warm to the touch, almost radiating heat. She had other major symtoms and her T4 is .02. The rest her panel was very low too.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project