"happy Tail" -need Advice

Guest needlenosemom

Guest needlenosemom

I am doing an adoption turnover tomorrow with a hound that just got Happy Tail yesterday. What advice should I give to these new hound owners. The tail is already bandaged.

Tell them that in the case of tail bandages, less is more. In other words, you might think that a heavy bandage is more protective, but they tend to fly off!

Gauze, then tape to the fur, then vet wrap over it!

Also, do not let their own vet shave the tail! It removes what little padding their is, and makes it hard to keep a bandage on.

They may need to keep it wrapped for up to a month, or longer!

Good luck!

My boy had it when I adopted him, and once it was healed COMPLETELY it has not come back. He got it because he was in a crate in his foster home.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest taylorsmom

Oh what a pain!! I second what Susan said, light-weight and long term bandaging, and no shaving!! A vet shaved Rita's tail and I really think that made it so much worse. I also used a pink sponge curler, slit lengthwise like a hot dog roll, put the tail end in it and used elastikon tape and vet wrap, wrapped all the way up the tail to the base and attached it there. Also, I spread Bitter Lime gel on the bandage to keep her from chewing it, and that worked really well. The bandage would stay on for 3 or 4 days, and we kept it bandaged for about a month. The pink sponge curler kept it padded, worked really well.

Hope poor pup feels better soon!!

Edited by taylorsmom

Guest savvyprchick

Know what works? An empty tampon applicator. It will fit smaller tails but not larger ones. For the larger ones, I've used a foam hair curler and just cut it up the side and then taped it and vet-wrapped it. That worked well too and really kept it padded! Good luck!

Sterling had a bloody tail last month and it did take about 3-4 weeks with the bandages. :( Its not easy to keep them on - even with taping to th hair. Twice I came home to find odd tubes of Vetrap on the floor :lol His tail did need to be shaved cos two spots of skin had to be cut. Its all healed now and just waiting for the hair to grow back and, hopefully, cover the scars. :blink:

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly