Hi! I'm New!

Guest Courtney

Guest Courtney

Good morning from the big, bad North. Run and hide, it's a Canuck in your midst! :lol

My name is Courtney and I'm a 20 year old female from Alberta. I'm what you would call an "animal lover" -- my best friends always seem to be animals. Currently, I own 3 hedgehogs, 1 black Lab, and 1 mixed breed cat. I need animals to be happy, and people always look at me strangely when I say that. I've grown up around animals, having received my first dog at just under 2 years old. He was with me until a few months after my 18th birthday and saw me through many adolescent changes, and traumas that come with the territory. Aside from the normals, I've worked with Standardbred racehorses, ridden Quarter Horses and helped tame very spooky animals.

I moonlight as a freelance designer. Perhaps you've heard of re-align.net (now defunct) or quill-media.net. Yeah, that's me. I design websites and graphic *things* for small businesses, and organizations. It's my other passion, besides animals.

Reason I'm here? I want to learn about Greyhounds. I met a bunch of retired racers at a meet-and-greet at Petsmart and I fell in love. I can't have another dog right now, but in a few years, I'd love to adopt one. They seem like such great pets from what I've read, but of course, Greyhound fanciers sometimes gloss over the bad parts and emphasize all the good. I want to learn everything to prepare myself for Grey ownership. I'm used to high-energy dogs, so docile, calm dogs seem like a nice change. I'm not much for strenuous activity myself and I prefer sitting on a couch and petting a dog versus taking it for 2-hour long runs three times a day. Somehow, I have the feeling a Greyhound would enjoy sitting on the couch and being petted. haha.

I may be starting my research a little early by some standards, but it's better to learn too much than not enough. I believe in researching any breed fully before I commit to it just so I know what I'm getting into and so I can provide fully for the dog. For the last year, I've been tossing around different breeds and searching out rescues for each. I really prefer adopting from rescues since there are so many unwanted dogs in the world who deserve a home. It makes me feel better to save a dog, and adopted dogs always seem to know they got their second chance. Our SPCA dog, Taz (the black Lab), is a grateful little one and she has a huge personality. It's like she tries to thank us every day for rescuing her. I love the feeling of doing something good for canines.

But wow, that's a novel. I didn't expect to write that much, but oh well. I'm sure you all enjoy reading intros and what better way to learn about someone than to read an autobiography.

Guest BigPercyInMa

:welcome

Nice to hear you're doing all the research now to possibly adopt a Greyhound in the future :colgate

We had to wait 4 years to get ours and he's so worth it. Not sure that ours is more docile or much calmer than our Collie or Lab though :lol: He lives to play and go for walks and rides in the car.

Love hedgehogs :wub:

Welcome to Gt. You will learn a lot about Greyhounds here. Just remember its more natural for people to post about problems than to post saying my GHs are perfect and in great health. So if you read too often in health and medical or training make sure you go directly to Cute and Funny. GH truly are the ideal pet. You'll probably find yourself moving up your time table for adoption. :)

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Guest greymom1997
Good morning from the big, bad North. Run and hide, it's a Canuck in your midst! :lol

My name is Courtney and I'm a 20 year old female from Alberta. I'm what you would call an "animal lover" -- my best friends always seem to be animals. Currently, I own 3 hedgehogs, 1 black Lab, and 1 mixed breed cat. I need animals to be happy, and people always look at me strangely when I say that. I've grown up around animals, having received my first dog at just under 2 years old. He was with me until a few months after my 18th birthday and saw me through many adolescent changes, and traumas that come with the territory. Aside from the normals, I've worked with Standardbred racehorses, ridden Quarter Horses and helped tame very spooky animals.

I moonlight as a freelance designer. Perhaps you've heard of re-align.net (now defunct) or quill-media.net. Yeah, that's me. I design websites and graphic *things* for small businesses, and organizations. It's my other passion, besides animals.

Reason I'm here? I want to learn about Greyhounds. I met a bunch of retired racers at a meet-and-greet at Petsmart and I fell in love. I can't have another dog right now, but in a few years, I'd love to adopt one. They seem like such great pets from what I've read, but of course, Greyhound fanciers sometimes gloss over the bad parts and emphasize all the good. I want to learn everything to prepare myself for Grey ownership. I'm used to high-energy dogs, so docile, calm dogs seem like a nice change. I'm not much for strenuous activity myself and I prefer sitting on a couch and petting a dog versus taking it for 2-hour long runs three times a day. Somehow, I have the feeling a Greyhound would enjoy sitting on the couch and being petted. haha.

I may be starting my research a little early by some standards, but it's better to learn too much than not enough. I believe in researching any breed fully before I commit to it just so I know what I'm getting into and so I can provide fully for the dog. For the last year, I've been tossing around different breeds and searching out rescues for each. I really prefer adopting from rescues since there are so many unwanted dogs in the world who deserve a home. It makes me feel better to save a dog, and adopted dogs always seem to know they got their second chance. Our SPCA dog, Taz (the black Lab), is a grateful little one and she has a huge personality. It's like she tries to thank us every day for rescuing her. I love the feeling of doing something good for canines.

But wow, that's a novel. I didn't expect to write that much, but oh well. I'm sure you all enjoy reading intros and what better way to learn about someone than to read an autobiography.

Welcome Courtney ...

It is great that you are doing research early. Wouldn't it be nice if all people researched a breed before actually getting one. Well you will find lots of info here. Don't worry, while we love to emphasize the greytness of greys, you will also find the not so greyt aspect of greys. Of course right now I can't think of a single reason not to have a grey in the home, but maybe someone else can think of a negative....

Guest bowiebears

Welcome from the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC!

Greyhounds are indeed wonderful pets, but they do occasionally have their 'slips'. Having had dogs & cats for most of my life (although not so early as you..but I'm sure I a lot older than you as well), I must say that the 4 greys who've been part of my life have been the easiest animals to live with! They are sweet, calm, gentle, intelligent! Although they can also be demanding, grumpy, anxiety-provoking at times too....just like many people I know!

Enjoy your research in preparation for your greyhound parenthood. It'll be a wonderful expereince.

--Isaac

Guest Courtney

Thanks, everyone! I'm not overly worried about any temperament issues with dogs. Right now, I'm working with my Lab to get rid of her toy possessiveness and biting habit. We're practicing the NILF method and it's working great. I like all dogs, so playful, calm, crazy, shy, and everything else in between in fine by me. All can be worked through with a little love and patience and some behavior training.

You'll probably find yourself moving up your time table for adoption.

HAHA! I bet you're right. If I knew I could pull it off, I'd be adopting a Grey as soon as I felt ready, not when I had a house of my own. I may cave and get a Grey when I have an apartment. I've read that they are good in apartments as well, as long as they get their walks and a comfy couch to stretch out on.

Right now, the only "negatives" I can think of after doing some reading is the whole flea medication and sedation/anaesthesia thing. But a Grey knowledgeable vet will know what to do and how to best deal with the dog if the need arises. That, and the fact that they may not be completely small animal safe. That's a big thing for me, but there are ways to prevent anything happening to my hedgehogs. They're in their cages unless being held and during floor time, I'm sure the dog could be muzzled or crated (in the same area as the hedgehogs on the floor) to maintain safety.

Guest hamiesmom

Hi and welcome from Ottawa. I'm like you as I'm an animal lover, first and foremost. The questions, I always seem to get is "why don't you like people or they're just animals". Glad to hear that you are going to do your research, but beware, once you get the greyhound bug, life will never be the same. I have a beautiful 9yr red fawn male, whom I have had for 3yrs, came to me as a rehome and the sweetest cat who is about 10yrs and was feral, caught and came to live with us when she was 9mos in Richmond, BC.

Guest Courtney

When people ask why I prefer animals, I just tell them "animals aren't idiots most of the time". It tends to shut them up. haha.

I think I've already been bitten by the bug. The minute I got my hands on a lovely brindle girl named Moody, I was hooked. She was so soft, and sweet. She must have seen me coming, because she stretched out and gave me that look, "hey human... you look like a sucker. Pet my belly. Rub my ears!" I must have rubbed her head, belly and legs for half an hour while I talked to the rescue (Chinook Winds). If I knew my dad wouldn't kick me out, she would have come home with me that day. haha.

Guest Moebaaviva

Welcome from Oregon! There's no such thing as "too early" when it comes to researching a breed! I fell in love with greyhounds when I was in college but I was 26 before I felt I had a stable enough home and job to adopt. You've certainly come to the right place to read the good, the bad, and the funny of living with greyhounds.But be forewarned, they're highly addictive and you may find yourself fostering or chipping before you realize what's happening. ;)

Guest Courtney

I've actually considered fostering as sort of a trial ownership, just to be sure a Grey was right for me. If it didn't work out, the Grey would have some home experience and I wouldn't have to feel too guilty about rehoming the dog since it was never really mine in the first place. Of course, I'd get attached and I wouldn't be able to give the dog up afterwards.

I wonder if the Rescue I spoke with would do that... foster to own. Hmm.