How Do Identify A Badder Infection?

Guest LashandRed

Guest LashandRed

We have two beautiful dogs, new to the adoption by only weeks. They have come to us after being bounced from one foster to another. I think that she has been through a very tough time. She is just starting to warm up to us after three months. He on the other hand is big,loveable but not the smartest thing to walk the earth. She is very smart....scary smart!

The female has been on occasion peeing in the house during the night. They have several walks a day, 5:30 am, 8:30 am, noon, 4:30 pm, 9:00 pm and we let them out just before bed at 10:00 just to make sure. We spoke to our local expect who I call the greyhoundwhisperer, and he suggested that she is just lazy. We have placed her in the laundry room at night with her bed and have had success with that, but we don't like separating them, even though they can see each other through the latice we have installed to block her in from the family room. We were advised to crate her, but when we tried, the fight we had was shocking. - any advice on crating would also be helpful.

So I am looking to for help with signs that perhaps her problem is 1) maybe too much water late in the day, 2) is she just lazy and how do I change that behavior or 3) is this a sign of something more serious and do I take her to the vet.

Any advise for a new parent would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Guest luckydog

Your greyhoundwhisperer = idiot. Seriously, he suggested that laziness is the cause of overnight peeing?

Please take this grey to the vet asap to check for a UTI.

Guest DoofBert

Bladder Infection....frequent urination, odor to urine, dark urine. UTI test is quick and easy.. see your vet asap.

Seriously, one of our 'adopters' had little female who would not housetrain.... ongoing issues for months. Owners insisted they had hound for UTI test (turns out they didn't). Well. after some 6 months or so.....they returned hound for other reasons.. We had her tested for UTI.. sure enough... UTI.....treated with right antibiotics..... no more pee in the house!!!

Crating....make sure the crate is proper size. Make it a comfy place.... offer treats when she is quiet in the crate. Keep time in crate short for first times... She needs to know that crate in your home means lot's of TLC, lots of toys while in crate and other nice stuff.

During 'alone time' in the crate -- you might want to play some light classical music or harp music.

Edited by DoofBert

Your "greyhound whisperer" should have also recommended, IMHO, that the dog will be much happier in your bedroom at night, and if she needs to go out and tells you, you'll be able to respond!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Does she make any noise during the night when she has to go? I would keep her close by so you can hear when she has to go and quickly take her outside. I agree with the above poster that her sleeping in your bedroom (on her own bed on the floor, of course) would be the easiest way to accomplish this.

Definitely schedule a vet visit right away. They can test the urine to see if there is an infection - it really sounds like it could be a UTI to me (and having had a couple of these myself I can tell you that they are NOT fun!). I would hold off on crating based on her previous response - it may be necessary later on if you can't get a handle on this, but it could just add to her stress right now.

What do you clean her accident spots with? Does she usually go in the same spot or different ones? Where does she pee (carpet, tile floor, her bed, etc)?

Guest needlenoselover

Carly is just getting over (I hope) a kidney infection. You should take her to the vet to get a urine sample and blood work done. See how that comes back first.

I also agree with the previous poster about letting her sleep in your room. That way you know is she gets up or not.

Good luck!!

Guest LashandRed

Hi there

thanks for all the advice, Vet's appointment is scheduled and we are going this afternoon. She doesn't make any noise when she wants to go out, and she doesn't seem uncomfortable when she urinates. Hopefully these are all good signs.

She does make the pee in the same spot, in the carpet by the door. Now my big challenge will be to collect a urine sample to take the vet.

Guest luckydog

Females are easier to collect pee for the vet to examine, since they squat. If you have a pie pan that your willing to sacrifice, just take it along on your walk, and when she goes to squat, place the pan underneath and voila! I would also bring along a ziplock bag or other container to transfer the pee into. Otherwise it'll just slosh out of the pan.

Females are easier to collect pee for the vet to examine, since they squat. If you have a pie pan that your willing to sacrifice, just take it along on your walk, and when she goes to squat, place the pan underneath and voila! I would also bring along a ziplock bag or other container to transfer the pee into. Otherwise it'll just slosh out of the pan.

I always like yogurt containers or other disposable containers with lids that seal tight. Then you don't feel bad when the vet throws them away for you! :lol

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Clean that spot with a heavy duty enzyme cleaner. I've found that Nature's Miracle just doesn't cut it.

Also, just to add my two cents, if I don't babygate Spud in the room with me, he'll wonder the house and pee occasionally. Usually on the houseplants :rolleyes: If I babygate him and he has to go in the middle of the night, he'll wake me up instead.

From what you say about her reaction to crating, I DON'T think you should crate her. Some dogs are fine with it and some dogs are not.

Good luck at the vet's office!

Clean that spot with a heavy duty enzyme cleaner. I've found that Nature's Miracle just doesn't cut it.

I agree. I have found that Capture works better. It's available at Sear's, and is less expensive than Nature's Miracle.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

She does make the pee in the same spot, in the carpet by the door

By the door tells me that she knows where she is supposed to go. She just may not know how to tell you. When these guys are in the race kennel someone has always told them when it's time to go. Sometimes it takes a long time before they understand they can give you the clues they need to go. In the meantime, we just have to watch for them. If Survey gets active during the night, I know I need to ask her if she wants to go. Things definately go better if they are with you in the same room at night. That's pretty much where they want to be anyway.

First step should be that vet visit. Then I would work on helping her understand she can wake you if she needs to go and you might watch to be sure she really pees that last time out before bed.

Oh yeah, and dump the whisperer. :-)

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Guest chigal950

Interested to hear results.

Our Molly started peeing in the middle of the night on the carpet. Several times in 1 week we ran off to vet and got antibiotics and no more pee. The urine tested a couple of days later showed no infection but since a couple of days had passed it still seems likely.

It was also suggested that frequent urination in the house in an otherwise housebroken dog could be kidney stone(s). If there is an increased excessive intake of water, it could be a sign of other medical conditions too.

Let us know when you hear something and hope all is right soon.