Oh! Happy Tail

Guest ddsgreys

Guest ddsgreys

Our oldest grey whipped his tail so hard, (after all we had been gone all of an hour) when we came home last weekend and split the end of his tail open. BLOOD everwhere... and I mean everywhere, so we taped it up, cleaned up the mess and the next morning before DH could get a hold of him, he whipped the bandage off and BLOOD everwhere.. again... so we taped again and it stayed on, but last night I, thinking it had been on long enough, took the bandage off.... BLOOD everywhere, so... it is taped up again. How long does it usually take for this to heal, or will it always be a problem. He did this once before a few years ago. I keep telling him he will now have a white bandaged tail for the rest of his life, so get use to it... big boy..

Oh geez. Looks like he may well need stitches. The same happened to our grey Merlin once - except it was our fault. My husband accidentally closed the back window (stupid electric windows! I hate them) on the tip of his tail... he squealed and there was blood EVERYWHERE... just as you described. We were mortified and took him to the emergency animal hospital because we realized it was not going to heal itself anytime soon. He needed several stitches and had to be put under. We have never felt so bad and guilty in our lives, as when we saw him hobbling out of the operating theater, all "drunk" from the anaesthetic, poor baby... :sad1 we were newbie grey-parents at the time... Now we are always super careful in the car and when opening and closing doors.

Good luck! Hope his tail heals soon!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I've had 3 happy tails in my house. Martina's came to me when I adopted her and the vet had shaved it and everything. It was nasty.

Shadow did his in the kitchen..blood all over....

Sampson came to me in late Aug. with one that was under a vets care. It was shaved and had been stitched. The stitches ripped it apart even more. It was the worst of the 3 I had. It was raw and oozing and really big. I was told that if it did not heal in 3 weeks it would have to be amputated!

This is what I did to all 3 and I highly recommend the stuff from here www.equineelite.com Wound lotion and the spray.

I cleaned it with the spray and dried it. Put a big blob of the lotion on it and wrapped it for 3 days. Unwrapped let out air for a few hours, sprayed it, globed it a re-wrapped it. Samspons nasty tail, that was set for chopping was all healed and unwrapped all the time in less than 10 days.

I use it on all kinds of scrapes, bug bites, my horse and myself too. Its great stuff. I have even had 3 vets check it out and they say its got good stuff in it.

Just my 2 cents...good luck with it.

Guest ddsgreys
I've had 3 happy tails in my house. Martina's came to me when I adopted her and the vet had shaved it and everything. It was nasty.

Shadow did his in the kitchen..blood all over....

Sampson came to me in late Aug. with one that was under a vets care. It was shaved and had been stitched. The stitches ripped it apart even more. It was the worst of the 3 I had. It was raw and oozing and really big. I was told that if it did not heal in 3 weeks it would have to be amputated!

This is what I did to all 3 and I highly recommend the stuff from here www.equineelite.com Wound lotion and the spray.

I cleaned it with the spray and dried it. Put a big blob of the lotion on it and wrapped it for 3 days. Unwrapped let out air for a few hours, sprayed it, globed it a re-wrapped it. Samspons nasty tail, that was set for chopping was all healed and unwrapped all the time in less than 10 days.

I use it on all kinds of scrapes, bug bites, my horse and myself too. Its great stuff. I have even had 3 vets check it out and they say its got good stuff in it.

Just my 2 cents...good luck with it.

I see the spray but not a lotion... do you know what it's called.

Guest crazy4greys

It won't heal unless you can keep the tail covered and keep it from getting whacked.

You need a pink foam curler, bought at any drug store, neosporin or something similar, elastikon, 1 inch. Cut the curler in half length wise like a hotdog roll. Put some neosporin on the tail and place the tail inside and leave room at the top by the tip of the tail(don't place tail right at end of curler). Wrap the elasticon starting at the tip of the curler down onto the dog's fur of the tail. Leave it on about 4 days and then repeat.

The elastikon is very sticky, so go slowly when you take it off the fur.

If he chews on the curlre, put on a muzzle with a poop cup so he can't chew on it.

It will eventually heal.

The curler method is a good one. Keep it wrapped for a good 2-3 weeks AFTER it heals (after the scab falls off and there's a nice pink scar underneath).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.