Question Regarding Anesthesia Protocol With Greys

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

If Monty's round cell tumor does not go away, he will have it removed in three weeks. I am going to talk with my vet to find out if he gets a local or general; the nurse thought it would be a general.

I KNOW I have read here about the various agents that should and should not be used with greyhounds and I am sorry for asking a repeat question, but I cannot find this information and know that lots of you know it! Advice appreciated!

Also cross your fingers and toes that Monty WON'T NEED this info! :goodluck

Edited by greytmonty

Another one to discuss with your vet that I don't see mentioned in Dr. Stack's article is dormitor (or dormitol, I may have it wrong). Dr. K, who does all the corn stuff for our fosters is a big fan for easier procedures. It also has the bonus of having a reversal agent if I understand correctly. I can't use propofol for Neyla so that's what we discussed using if we had to do a toe biopsy. Hoping you don't need any of this info though!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest greytmonty

Thank you both, I am going to print out the article as well as your replies. My vet is pretty open so I hope she will talk with me about these things.

And I hope I don't have to!!!!!!

For a healthy Greyhound... the protocol I use is:

Domitor/Torbugesic as a premedication

Wait 20 minutes

Place an IV catheter and give valium IV

Induce anesthesia with Propofol IV

Intubate and place on Isoflurane

If the procedure is going to be painful I will give an injection fo Rimadyl either with the premedication or at induction.

I can give exact doses, etc. if needed. As mentioned before... the "best protocol" will depend on what your vet is used to using.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest LittleGreys

Dr Radcliffe told me never to give domitor to a Greyhound, it can bottom out their blood pressure. I had problems with my own Greyhound using domitor, will never use it again. I use valium and propofol.

Dr Radcliffe told me never to give domitor to a Greyhound, it can bottom out their blood pressure. I had problems with my own Greyhound using domitor, will never use it again. I use valium and propofol.

I disagree with the statement "never give Domitor to a Greyhound". Domitor is safe for Greyhounds. Mr. Wolfe's group uses a LOT of Domitor in Greyhounds and they don't have problems. I have some issues with the way they use it, but that is another issue. I've used it on my own hounds and use it routinely as a premedication in patients. I wouldn't use it in a patient with heart disease or one that was debilitated in another way... but I used it as part of a premedication in the 9 year old we just adopted for her spay/dental and she did great and more recently for sugery on her toe and she did great again! An added bonus of Domitor is that it has pain relieving properties as does Butorphonal (aka Torbugesic). Propofol has no lasting pain relieving properties and valium is simply a muscle relaxer/anti-anxiety. I love both drugs as I use them in my Greyhound protocols but neither does anything for pain.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greytmonty

I spoke with my vet today who answered some of my questions about anesthesia, just in case.

She said that she uses a Ketamine Valium induction. I forgot ask her which gas, is that important? I can ask her within the next few weeks. She says they are careful with anesthesia with greys. They do NOT monitor the dog's temp during the procedure, is that important? She said the hyperthermia is hard to miss and they have meds available immediately if that happens. she seemed well aware of greys sensitivity to meds.

Monty will have a dental at the same time and should come home same day.

If and only if this is necessary!