Runny Poo

About two weeks ago, Zola developed explosive diarrhea. She is normally a strong eater with a strong stomach so i was quite surprised. her diet is homecooked meats, rice and veggies with bone meal and vitamins, and has not changed in a while. After a few days of her having runny, mucus-y feces, I took her to the vet. They automatically put her on a 5-day course of a broad-spectrum antibiotic and ran a fecal exam (no parasites found). 1 week later, her punny is still like soft-serve (ick). Should I be concerned (given that her pre-incident poo was generally well formed and regular), and if so, what do I do next?

Thanks!

Vanitha

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

I'd call the vet and let them know what's doing on.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Id call your vet and tell them the issue has not been resolved... You can also try giving her some Live culture acidophilous

Kim, mom to Reno (Slatex Reno), sister to Daffy (Bally's Flack), Ashley and Sue (racing names unknown), and Bridge kids Strider (7/28/94-4/16/05), RW's Dallas (12/17/98- 06/26/2010), Odd Taylor (aka Lizzie), JC's Curfew (4/6/2005- 4/22/2010), Winnie(Pooh Bear)my heart dog, and Rocky the beagle

i'm always a fan of the "no feeding for 2 days, followed by bland diet for a few days, then transition to regular food again" technique. always works for my crew.

(ps: i feel weird responding to your thread instead of just knocking on your door. :lol )

i'm always a fan of the "no feeding for 2 days, followed by bland diet for a few days, then transition to regular food again" technique. always works for my crew.

(ps: i feel weird responding to your thread instead of just knocking on your door. :lol )

Yup. Add to that 2 metamucil wafers before you fast her. She'll have gelatinous poop, but don't worry - it's part of the process. This is my vet's favorite diarrhea cure :)

She could have picked up a bug or hooks somewhere so if she doesn't clear up, I'd take her back in and maybe get some panacur or flagyl. What antibiotic did they put her on?

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, don't know how to edit topic. But, here's the update. Zola has ben doing better off and on for the last couple of weeks but has one back to runny poo and had a couple of accidents. Prior to a month ago, she did not have a sensitive stomach at all. Diet and vitamins have not changed. When we went to the vet weeks ago, they gave her a 5-day course of antibiotics (metrodonazole). Also ran a fecal test which came back negative for all pathogens tested.

I have an appt with vet tomorrow and am looking for things I should ask vet about. Zola is a pretty hardy dog, is not given to pooing in the house so I know these are accidnets, plus they are very runny. No blood that I can tell. She's monitored whe she is outside so I know she's not chewing on something weird. Help!??

I am feeding her a cooked meat and vegetable diet, and have been for the last 6 months. She was very regular on kibble, may try going back. But she has also been regular and much healthier looking on the cooked diit, for about 5 months.

Thank you,

Vanitha

p.s. live culture in yogurt and pumpkin have been tried, as was the fasting.

Edited by vsrenard

Antibiotics wreak havoc with intestinal flora. Also, yogurt doesn't have much of the beneficial bacteria so I would try either some acidophilus capsules, they should help. I'd probably look for them in a health food store or similar.

Antibiotics wreak havoc with intestinal flora. Also, yogurt doesn't have much of the beneficial bacteria so I would try either some acidophilus capsules, they should help. I'd probably look for them in a health food store or similar.

Thanks, I will do that!