Giving Subq Fluids

Guest anneh

I know its not rocket science but I am nervous about probably having to do it for my little 23lb foster dog. She is drinking and now thank God eating just a little but my holistic vet suggested that as she is running a fever she should have the SubQ fluids. Anyone have any advice? Thanks

anneh

Guest wilsontrixie

Ive done it with cats and it works well...my vet said it didn't work as well as it did with cats on dogs...

hang the bag from the chandeleir and off you go. it's not that bad...hope it helps...

what are you fostering?, it's really small...

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I was nervous at first too. I'm giving my 60 lb. grey a half liter of SubQ fluids 3 times a week. The higher you hang the bag, the faster the drip goes. I'm using a pretty large needle so flow isn't restricted. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I warm the bag first in hot water. I hang it. I bring the dog over and gently grab some skin between her shoulder blades. I pull up to make a pocket between skin and muscle. Poke the needle in the pocket and start the flow of the bag.

I was nervous at first too. I'm giving my 60 lb. grey a half liter of SubQ fluids 3 times a week. The higher you hang the bag, the faster the drip goes. I'm using a pretty large needle so flow isn't restricted. It takes about 10-15 minutes. I warm the bag first in hot water. I hang it. I bring the dog over and gently grab some skin between her shoulder blades. I pull up to make a pocket between skin and muscle. Poke the needle in the pocket and start the flow of the bag.

I agree, great description of how to do this...also, I would want a technician to demonstrate so you can "see" how it is done.

Good Luck...fluids can do wonderful things.

Edited by Fudge

The first time is the worst. It takes no time to get the hang of it.

I gave sub-q to an IG for 2 year & he was so easy. The vet kept telling me how lucky I was. I saw her try to train a woman who had a MinPin. The dog wanted no part of the procedure.

The stick is the worst part. Once the fluid starts flowing just sit the dog, pet them & talk to them. I tried to make it quality time. Houdini would be very tired afterwards, so I would just cover him up on his bed for a nap.

You have to remind yourself you are helping them.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

The worst part is the first time you stick the needle in. Afterwards it becomes quite easy. I did my cat for almost 2 years. I hung the bag on my unused excercise bike and just sat on the floor in my bedroom with the cat on my lap where it was nice and quiet. She was a saint about it...I wish I had thought to warm the bag but she never seemed to mind.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

> I wish I had thought to warm the bag but she never seemed to mind.

I got that idea from the canine kidney sites. Before I was warming it, I could feel the cold through her skin.

> I would want a technician to demonstrate so you can "see" how it is done.

Yes, I should have said that. My Vet demonstrated it without the actual stick and then handed the needle to me to try while I was there.

I hang the bag from the top of the kitchen cabinets to get a fast flow.

I had to give subQ fluids to my cat Roscoe who had CRF. The vet showed us how to inject it into his side so he would get a little saddle bag. He didn't like it at all and would hide for days. We didn't see him much and just when he started to trust us again, it was time to catch him and "stick" him again. After about 8 months of it, we decided that quality of life was better than quantity and opted to stop the treatment. We had another 2 years with him and were glad we made our decision. We used to do the fluids in the kitchen and hang the bag from the pantry door.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

I tried the fluids with my 12 year old mix. She was an angel, I on the other hand was a wreck. I hung the bag on a doorknob and had my dog lay on her bed. She never gave me a fight but I felt really bad about the size of the needle. I finally had a tech come to my house and give her the treatments. I know they work very well for most people. Just keep in mind that this will help your baby and they are not actually afraid of needles.

Edited by CindiLuvsGreys

We did fluids for Angel Queenie for 6 months every day. The vet techs had us come in and had us do it there the first time. She tolerated it very well except I did NOT use and 18 gauge needle...I used a much smaller one...smaller poke but it took more time but that was ok...I hated that huge 18 gauge needle. Have the vet or the techs have you do it in the office so that you are comfortable. We did it that way even though I am a nurse...so that Fred would be able to do it while I was at work. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest charmsmom

If you warm the fluid in hot water, make sure you do NOT let the needle get in the water. The best thing is to seal the whole nine yards in a double ziplock bag so it's watertight. That will keep the equipment sterile and still warm it up. (My kitty had to have subq's too.)

Guest LolasMom
If you warm the fluid in hot water, make sure you do NOT let the needle get in the water. The best thing is to seal the whole nine yards in a double ziplock bag so it's watertight. That will keep the equipment sterile and still warm it up. (My kitty had to have subq's too.)

I hooked the tube and needle to the faucet to insure it didn't get in the water. I also ran a little of the fluid on my wrist (like you would a baby's formula) before injecting it to make sure it was not too hot or cold. Just lukewarm will be the most comfortable.