Taking Carly To The Vet,

Guest needlenoselover

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wmlcml6

Do you give her any type of probiotics? She may need some good bacteria in her system. Try giving her some yogurt or cottage cheese (or buttermilk) if you don't do that already. My dogs love it and it seems to keep their digestive system healthy.

Pumpkin is a good fattening additive to the food, but she really shouldn't be losing so much with the amount of food you are giving her. We typically feed our female racers 2-2.5 lbs a day to maintain their svelte athletic figure, so 3-4 for your girl should be perfect.

I hope your mama girl feels better soon.

Guest needlenoselover

Well, she just had a BIG breakfast of ground turkey and 4 chicken feet. Total weight on food this AM, 2.5 pounds. That should be enough for the day, like Mama Caffie said. Which is what Heather gets to keep her girlish figure.

I have tried the pumpkin with Carly, but she turns her nose up at it. I give her probiotics in the NuDog supplement. But as someone else posted, the kelp could have an effect on her thyroid. Which would explain a lot. So breakfast today was without that NuDog. But her other supplements were there. I tried giving Carly yogurt in the past, but it was mized with the pumpkin, and she didn't eat it. Maybe I will just try plain yogurt by itself.

Come on Monday............I need those test results!!!!

Guest needlenoselover

Ok, It's Monday afternoon, after 3:00, and NO TEST RESULTS! I have called 2x, and both times they said they weren't back yet. And to try again later. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I am not very good at waiting! I need to know what is wrong with my momma dog, if there is anything wrong. Please send good thoughts Carlys way!

update?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest needlenoselover

Update is that I HATE THIS VET!!!! I called 3 times today. The blood work is in, but since the vet who ordered the panel isn't in until tomorrow, they can't give me any results until then. OMG! I could STRANGLE someone right now. The tech I spoke with said there were "things that were elevated" but that the doc will go over that with me tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I can't believe this!!! Needless to say I won't be going back there for ANYTHING. I am going to get a copy of the blood work and have another vet look at it.

Please make sure you have the orginal lab work too to compare it too.

Do not panic. Elevated could be as simple as the thyroid which is very easy to treat. Remember it's just as easy as thinking positive as it is negative and there is nothing to panic at right now.

Here's a thought-- call your regualr vet, explain that you HAD TO BRING HER IN AS AN EMERGENCY since you could not be seen for several days, ask HIM/HER to get the current labs on her NOW.

Good thoughts your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

It could be something as simple as a thyroid problem which would be fixed with meds. I can't believe they are making you wait!!! What jerks!

Seconding Robin's suggestion to get hold of the last blood panel for comparison.

Also wondering if it might be thyroid -- although LOW is usually more of an issue for greys than elevated.

I hope you've had some luck with being pushy at the Vet since we spoke earlier this evening. Keep us posted! Love to Carly.

Guest needlenoselover

I didn't call the vet back. I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment and get all mad. I will call FIRST thing in the morning. In the meantime, Carly is sleeping on the couch. Dave (DH) thinks she's just "found the couch" and that she's probably fine. I hope he's right. He surprises me with how much he "secretly" loves the dogs. :) He can be such a softy. I will update in the morning when I know something concrete.

Guest needlenoselover

Ok, I'm on hold right now with the vets office. I called this morning, and NONE of the vets were available to speak with because they were in a meeting. I was told to call back after 12. So here I am. Tech just came on the line, said she would call me back. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Good gawd!! I would totally lose my patience and freak out at this point. I can't believe you are being dragged around like this. I would seriously flip out and let them know that your dog is SICK and that you are a mess waiting for results and that they are being completely inconsiderate!!

Guest needlenoselover

Called again. They were completely rude, saying that the vet was in with patients and when she gets a chance to go over the results, she would call me. That could be 9 tonight! I might just go over there and sit and wait for the vet to talk to me in person. If I didn't have my 3kids with me, I would go over there. If I don't hear anything by the time my DH gets home, I will go over. I am just ready to cry my heart out over this. Does anyone know if you can complain about a vet to someone in authority? BBB maybe?

Wow, I am astonished. :blink: Seriously. They sound so completely rude and inconsiderate. I can understand them being busy but that doesn't matter. You have PAID for that blood panel and you are waiting for the results. Those results should have been phoned in to you at the earliest time possible and you can't tell me over 24 hrs later is the earliest. I would raise a stink. Not to mention....never go back there. I would speak to the manager of the clinic for starters. Usually there is a manager that is not a vet that deal with issues like this. It is possible too that they haven't passed on the info to the vet? Perhaps you are just dealing with the front desk ppl and they have neglected to even transfer the info over to the vet. I doubt it....but trying to give the benefit of the doubt. I would most certainly go down there in person if you can and demand to speak to the manager of the clinic. This is not acceptable in my opinion and I am a pretty laid back and understanding person. I am truly floored about how inconsiderate and rude they are being to you and your sick pup. Sickening really.

Could they fax the results to your regular vet? Maybe your vet would be able to make time to talk with you about them.

I had suggested having the regular vet call them and get the results since you would rather deal with them anyway. You have nothing to lose at this point.

I do agree with Trevdog in that no news often means good news. But still....they could have the decency to let you know...especially after the one tech already scared you by saying there were some things elevated. You really need to voice the turmoil you have been going through to get these results once you do get a hold of someone. They need to know what they have put you through. Completely unprofessional.

Guest needlenoselover

I am going over there, with the kids, to get the test results and a copy of them and then taking them to my regular vet. You guys are right, this is completely unprofessional. I have already paid for the tests and the exam. Just because I am not physically there with Carly doesn't make her less of a patient. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am going over there, with the kids, to get the test results and a copy of them and then taking them to my regular vet. You guys are right, this is completely unprofessional. I have already paid for the tests and the exam. Just because I am not physically there with Carly doesn't make her less of a patient. I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree. Good plan of attack. :goodluck

Guest needlenoselover

So I just got back. Here is what is high on the blood panel. Urea Nitrogen 42, BUN/Creatinine Ration 32, Lipase 918. She was talking biopsies of the lining of her stomach and other parts of her. But they aren't sure what is really going on with her. Possibly cancer or she could just need a pepcid every day. WHAT???!!! I don't get it. I am calling my regular vet now to see if they can see her before Thursday. I also contacted Erin, who adopted Carly to me, to see if she had bloodwork done prior to her spay in May. She didn't know, but since I am going to Erins on Friday, I will call the vet and ask. I am going to start her on a Pepcid once a day to be on the safe side. But does anyone know what these elevated #'s could mean?

ETA: Just called my regular vet, and they will see her at 5:30 tonight. Thank goodness. I'll let you know what they say when I get back.

Edited by needlenoselover