Start Of A Hotspot?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Our new boy Spinner was treated for fleas by dip and oral meds just before he came to us. I bathed him and gave him and our other hounds a dose of Frontline. The vet put him on antibiotics for skin infection just above his tail (from the flea bites). He just finished the antibiotics last night, and the original spot looks great. But today I see a new spot, wet from fresh biting, with reddened skin. I don't see any sign of fleas -- so what am I dealing with? Otherwise, his coat is very nice, skin seems clear.

He was having generalized itchies the first few days he was with us--seemed just like our Dr. Doug's Sept-Oct itchies, so I gave him Benedryl since that is what we do for Dr. Doug, and it seemed to help quite a bit.

I really hate to go running to the vet again, and the spot is tiny, only a little reddened. What I'm really wondering is what steps I might take on my own here at home given his history of fleas, allergies, etc. I have a few things here--DermaPet (ear/skin cleanser, Conofite (ciconazole nitrate), Sivler sulfadiazine cream, Betagen spray, Zn7 Derm ---Gads, I can't believe I've accumulated all this stuff!!!!!!!!!! Epsom salts, too.

If it doesn't improve, I'll call the vet, but I hate to do that right away...

Edited by SusanP

Tee shirt or shorts so he can't get at it as easily. It may very well be biting himself out of habit.

Is the spot warm to the touch? If you rub it, is it itchy?

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest Jennifer4719

I have heard that tea tree oil is good for hot spots. I have never used it myself. Benedryl should also help. If his itching gets really bad try Temaril-P(get from the vet). I use that for my mixed breed when her spring allergies flare up. It has a strong antihistamine and some steroids.

Guest SusanP

Not warm to touch, doesn't seem to bother him any if I rub it. I do see now that some of the original spot still has reddened areas, hidden under what's left of the fur there.

What about just washing the area--should I use dog shampoo or boric acid/water or saline or just plain water?

Guest wmlcml6

Not seeing a picture and going by your description, it wouldn't be a bad thing to assume it's a hotspot. Defnitely not something to rush to a vet for and all that stuff you've accummulated... can I just say, "wow"?!? Anyways if it is a hotspot, the skin and hair in the affected area will die and slough off rather easily and what's left underneath is, as you described, reddened and well.. angry looking.

You need to get all the skin that's bad off of him... just simply pull on the hair that surrounds the wound. anything that pulls off is dead or dying and needs to be taken off otherwise it'll continue to spread. Once you've taken all the skin off that will come up, pour some Hydrogen Peroxide DIRECTLY and UNDILUTED to the spot. It'll foam up like H2O2 does.. it's just doing it's job. No need to wipe it clean or anything, just let the H2O2 go to work. Once it's dried up then apply some sort of antibiotic ointment to it. Whether it be bag balm, neosporin, bacetracin... doesn't really matter. You dont HAVE to use the ointment, but, the spot will scab over and take longer to heal of you dont. The next day, the site should appear clean and bald. After about a week or so, you should notice some hair beginning to regrow... maybe longer.

Guest SusanP

What's the theory behind the peroxide? Is it to kill something? (If so, what?) If it's an allergic problem, would the peroxide just irritate it? Wouldn't the peroxide sting a bit?

Guest wmlcml6

The H2O2 will kill the bacteria and dry the spot. It might sting just a bit, but, not for long. This is what we do with our racers whenever they develope the spots. Do as noted above and it'll clear up.

If any more of these spots show up I would want a skin scraping.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest neenieca

You might try Fresh Factors. These have done wonders for Penny's "summer itchies" - her skin ends up a red, swollen, icky mess of bites, and the FF take care of them almost immediately every time. A friend of mine had a dog with true hot spots, and had excellent results with Fresh Factors.

Guest Greensleeves

The very best thing we've found for itchies and hot spots starting is called Itch Stick (we buy it at PetSmart, but this pic is from Amazon, believe it or not!):

21WYX2GYQQL._AA160_.jpg

The active ingredient is benzocaine, which is a painkiller and topical anaesthetic; I'm also pretty sure it has a nasty taste to it, since our guys WILL NOT LICK after we apply it. We've accumulated about as many ointments and medicines as you have, over the years of raising allergy hounds, but this thing seems to stop any itchies COLD. (I actually tried it on myself this week--shhh!--when I was so fed up with a bug bite that wouldn't stop itching even with topical Benadryl. Great stuff.). I have been *very* pleased with how it's worked on a couple of hotspots that Ladygirl started to develop--one on the base of her tail, and one on her hip.

It's super-easy to apply (it looks just like a stick of deodorant), it doesn't sting... great, great, great stuff. I can't tell you how happy we were to find something that WORKED, and worked IMMEDIATELY, after years of dealing with itchy dogs. :)

(Read this over, and realized I sound a bit like one of those people on an infomercial! :lol No affiliation to the company, yadayada...)

What is the dose for the Fresh Factors? (63-lb dog) Just doing the math...

I usually start them off at two a day and go from there. My dogs are on Fresh Factors and Joint Health, both from Springtime.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest neenieca
What is the dose for the Fresh Factors? (63-lb dog) Just doing the math...

The bottle says 2 tablets/day for a 50-70 lb dog, but that the dose can be doubled or tripled if faster results are desired. We started Penny with four tablets/day, and I think that was why I could see almost immediate results. I think Springtime might still be running the "buy 2 get 1 free special." You might check that out.

Good luck!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

First of all, Cathie L.'s advice was very good... and for this spot.. really would help and not hurt anything... I'd go with it.

Now then -- one thing jumped out at me: you said you Bathed him (drying and removes sebaceous layer) before applying the Frontline. Your Vet should have told you -- I think the packaging does tell you -- if you bathe them you need to wait AT LEAST 3 days because when you have wiped the sebaceous layer from the surface of the skin--- the Frontline won't work. It won't spread as intended -- through the sebaceous layer. It's virtually useless.

Second point : If a dog is Allergic to fleas, ONE flea bite will set off a chain reaction. If you can avoid using steroids and just vacuum a LOT (and throw out the bag) .... and I'd use Cathie's trick to stop the hot spot spread ... after the pup has a sebaceous layer again you can use Frontline-- I'd check with your vet about repeating it too soon though... Something Holistic like "Buck Mountain Parasite Dust For Animals: Herbal Gold", which is prepared from Organic Yarrow and Neem (and which works), might be used instead. But remember -- ONE flea bite can start the cycle.

The best possible diet with good Omega 3 oils added (canned Salmon??) can help a lot too. Good luck... don't over medicate him and try the peroxide.

Guest couchpotato
-- if you bathe them you need to wait AT LEAST 3 days because when you have wiped the sebaceous layer from the surface of the skin--- the Frontline won't work. It won't spread as intended -- through the sebaceous layer. It's virtually useless.

Exactly what I was thinking. Our little girl needed nearly five days before we could apply the advantage, any sooner and she would break out in a sort of rash. Our male only needs recomended three days. And even then we would only apply a half dose to each.

Edited by couchpotato

I JUST posted pics of Beau on Saturday with a hot spot. I brought him to the vet after I cleaned it with peroxide and them triple antibiotic.

Vet put him on Gentocin which is a spray that gets applied 2x a day on a cotton ball. The only reason she did not want the triple antibiotic is that it is goopy and it won't allow the spot to dry out. This just about cleared it up already., Wish you lived closer, we could share!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SusanP
-- if you bathe them you need to wait AT LEAST 3 days because when you have wiped the sebaceous layer from the surface of the skin--- the Frontline won't work. It won't spread as intended -- through the sebaceous layer. It's virtually useless.

Exactly what I was thinking. Our little girl needed nearly five days before we could apply the advantage, any sooner and she would break out in a sort of rash. Our male only needs recomended three days. And even then we would only apply a half dose to each.

Oh no! I had no idea! I think I mentioned the bath to the vet tech, but the vet may have not known. I didn't think it was all that important. The Frontline was intended mainly as a precaution since there was no longer sign of fleas and he'd been thoroughly treated a couple of days before. I'll call the vet and ask what they want to do now about Frontline and any eggs that could still be around.

The spot isn't wet at all, more like just slightly abraded skin. It's super minor at the moment.

I"m kind of confused about the logical cause at this point...I think I'll have a chat with the vet tomorrow, taking into account all that you guys have told me. Between possible incomplete flea treatment, possible flea allergy, possible seasonal allergies, alleged skin infections etc... I just don't know.

At least she's good about giving me suggestions over the phone, especially for a condition she's already seen once.

The very best thing we've found for itchies and hot spots starting is called Itch Stick (we buy it at PetSmart, but this pic is from Amazon, believe it or not!):

21WYX2GYQQL._AA160_.jpg

The active ingredient is benzocaine, which is a painkiller and topical anaesthetic; I'm also pretty sure it has a nasty taste to it, since our guys WILL NOT LICK after we apply it. We've accumulated about as many ointments and medicines as you have, over the years of raising allergy hounds, but this thing seems to stop any itchies COLD. (I actually tried it on myself this week--shhh!--when I was so fed up with a bug bite that wouldn't stop itching even with topical Benadryl. Great stuff.). I have been *very* pleased with how it's worked on a couple of hotspots that Ladygirl started to develop--one on the base of her tail, and one on her hip.

It's super-easy to apply (it looks just like a stick of deodorant), it doesn't sting... great, great, great stuff. I can't tell you how happy we were to find something that WORKED, and worked IMMEDIATELY, after years of dealing with itchy dogs. :)

(Read this over, and realized I sound a bit like one of those people on an infomercial! :lol No affiliation to the company, yadayada...)

Fenway had EXACTLY what you are describing and this stuff worked for us. Best of luck.....I hate hot spots. The T-shirt idea helped too....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest SusanP

Well, my vet's office says no, that as long as the dog is completely dry (and this was 24hrs post-bath) the Frontline works fine, that the only problem is when it is applied to a damp dog.

?

Guest crangrey

Hot spots..yuk! I cleared my pupper's spots with an old horseman's trick...dab it with plain old Listerine mouthwash as often as you think of it. It doesn't seem to irritate, and I've sucessfully cleared up BAD spots within 48 hours, max. I do spray a hydrocortizone spray a bit if I think of it ( after the Listerine ). I've used this method for years, and have passed it on to my customers who now swear by it. I also, without fail, add Grizzly brand wild salmon oil, and feed no food with corn.

Guest wmlcml6
The simpler the better for hot spots IMHO

EXACTLY!! What can be more simple than hydrogen peroxide and a good ointment?

But, what do I know? I only work with 68 racers every single day and have to stay on top of annoying things like hotspots.

Color me perplexed,

Coach ;)