Questions About Carafate

Guest MorganKonaAlex

yes, carafate is a prescription. It works differently than Pepcid and the medications can be combined. You can't give them at the same time though. I think of carafate as an additional tool to Pepcid.

Guest CyndiW

Pepcid works to stop the acid at the source (H2 blocker). If it is not working, you can try Prilosec which helps to stop acid at the source but in a slightly different way. It is called a proton pump inhibitor. Alex's internist recommends that we start rotating months (Pepcid one month and Prilosec the next) because they work differently and the rotation will help keep the body from becoming dependent on one or the other. Carafate does not prevent acid from forming but helps to coat the stomach and esophagus from the acid damage. (I hope I explained these correctly. I have a hiatal hernia and take Carafate and Nexium. My doctor also explained the meds in a way similar to Alex's doctor. Pretty sad when you and your greyhound take similar meds.) Carafate is a prescription but Pepcid and Prilosec can both be purchased OTC.