Elphie's Not Feeling Well This Morning

Elphie didn't eat her breakfast this morning which isn't that unusual except that she had some diarrhea last night and she vomitted a few minutes ago... foamy, thick stuff that had flecks of blood in it. I don't want to panic so I tried reaching my vet at home but there was no answer. The good thing is that I work at a vet clinic so she will be looked at today and I'll have x-rays/bloodwork done (just to be on the safe side) but I am still very worried. She found some cotton from a pill bottle the other day and may have eaten some of it... is it possible that it could be causing an obstruction? She was also chewing on a cardboard shipping tube yesterday and although she didn't swallow any big pieces, she was really gnawing at the tube and licking it. Could she be ill from that?

After she threw up, she did some "play bow" stretching which really has me freaked out because before Crooke died last year from the intestinal tumor, she did all kinds of stretching (turns out her intestines were "climbing" onto themselves and that is what ended up killing her).

Please everyone send good thoughts, white light and prayers for my baby girl. I hope I'm overreacting but just in case...

Friday Update:

Elphie started vomiting again at 3:30 this morning. It was bloody foam, 6 times. I sat up with her until 6:45 before calling my vet (that took some major restraint, let me tell you). she told me to give her some liquid carafate, run a PCV when I got to work and to give a famotidine injection. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooo scared. She's going to be here a little later this morning to look at her. If she starts vomiting again before she gets here, I'll have the other vet look at her (Elphie is scared to death of this vet so I don't want to upset her unless I have to). Oh, no vomit since 5:45 and she seems to be acting fine. Maybe a little slow.

Please keep the prayers and good thoughts coming.

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest greybookends

Elphie stop scaring momma! I hope everything is Ok. Ginny and I are looking forward to meeting Elphie on Saturday so she's not allowed to be sick!

:hope :hope :hope :hope :hope :hope

Oh sweet Elphie!

I "stole" this picture of her and use it as a desktop some times.... so I consider her one of my GT doggies whom I have never actually met.

ElphieTired_GIG2007.jpg

Hope all goes smoothly today and that she is feeling better by the end of the day.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Thanks everyone for your good thoughts and prayers.

I took her outside a few minutes ago and she had a small amount of diarrhea... dark, but not black. I brought it in for the vet to look at but she didn't see anything remarkable but some grass (Elph's a big grazer). Elphie eats raw and she had beef last night and it always makes her stool darker.

After the poop, she was pretty frisky and wanted to play some. I offered her one of the treats we've been giving this week but she wouldn't take it. Then I offered her some freeze dried liver (one of her special treats) and she ate it. So I guess that's a good sign.

The vet is in surgery right now but she'll look at her in a little bit.

SPDoggie, I love that picture, too. Thanks for including her as one of your GT doggies. Perhaps we'll be able to meet someday.

Thanks again and I'll keep you all posted,

Sheila

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Sending prayers for Elphie.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest ddsgreys

Sounds like something just didn't agree with her, let's hope that's all it was..

Gracie has a boo, boo, I'm not sure just what happened but our older male can be a little growly at times but he's usually just a lot of noice, well... this a.m. he decided he had enough, I guess, and as Gracie was trying to get past him in the hall he did more than growl, he bit her, this is a first, he has never biten before and of course Gracie is a bit dramatic so she was yelling bloody murder.. but she has a good size bite on her side. I will check it again at lunch but don't think stitches are needed but every time I try to clean it she starts yelling... It just never stops..

Edited by ddsgreys

Guest Tenderhearts

Sending lots of prayers and white light to one of the prettiest young ladies on GT! :hope:candle:hope:candle:hope

The fact that she's pooping is a good sign as far as an obstruction is concerned.

The blood in the vomit may be throat irritation. I'll keep checking for updates!

Well, I'm feeling better. X-rays are very normal. No stomach distension or obvious obstructions. Dr. Scotti palpated her abdomen and she wasn't tender at all and rectal exam (boy, did Elphie love that one) was unremarkable as well. I just gave her a pepcid and will start her on carafate at lunchtime. She even ate a little low residue canned food... about 2 Tbls was all that I gave her.

Devon, thanks for the compliment. I agree that she is one of the prettiest young ladies on GT :blush and I'm hoping that it is just a little irritation from some grass she ate this morning. The blood was just some flecks and she seems like she is feeling better the longer the morning goes by.

Donna, poor Gracie. If she's anything like Elphie (and I think she is), she is definitely a drama princess! I hope her boo boo heals well and there's no scarring or stitches needed. Elphie likes to bark and irritate the other greys and she has narrowly avoided a few nips. I figure one of these days someone will get her and maybe she'll be taught a lesson.

Thanks again everyone.

Guest ThunderPaws

Elphie!!!! Glad you are feeling better!

The vet examined you butt?? Ewwwwww!!!!

Come to the beach this weekend and you'll feel much better!! I'm waiting for you!

It's raining right now, but I ordered some sunshine for you!

Your buddy Diesel

Elphie is feeling much better this afternoon. She played with me outside some and was playing with a toy inside. She has had 2 BMs this afternoon... both were pretty much water w/ mucus. The vet thinks she has some colitis and she should be fine soon. :yay So as long as she isn't worse, we will be headed down to BBH tomorrow evening and she'll be able to see some old and new friends on Saturday!

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to her and I don't want to find out anytime soon!!!!!

So glad she is going to be O.K. I haven't had time today to be on here before now. I have always thought those blue brindles were beautiful. My husband wouldn't let me have one at the time. That round of pups always tug at my heart when I see pictures of them.

Keep us up to date with her progress!

DDGreys- sorry to hear about your baby also.

Mindy

Mom to Max (grey), Buttermilk (grey) and Winston (iggy) and Skinkids, Ally and Ben! In loving memory of Angels Chelsey(Weim), whom we lost on August 26, 2004, Majestic(Chow) on November 20, 2005, on October 5, 2007, we lost Natasha(lab mix), and on May 28, 2009 we lost our greyhound Ike born 7/31/2005 You were too young to go!!!! We lost Monte(Whippet) on September 23, 2009. We miss you all!