Polli's Tummy Is Off

RobinM

We finally got Polli to start eating. We have her on Innova/Evo with ground up kibble mixed in.

She was eating 3x a day. 7:30, 5:30 and after the last walk at 11PM.

This is only temp as we really needed to have her gain some weight. She does not eat with gusto. She looks at it, circles it, thinks about it, runs upstairs, lays down, comes back down and moseys over to eat it. Slowly. It can take 20 minutes for her to eat what the others would inhale.

But she was eating. She was putting away close to 3 cans and 1.5 cups of ground kibble a day. Not bad.

Until yesterday morning when she REFUSED to eat anything, even a cookie. She would take the cookie (dried chicken strips) and put them away but not eat them. At about 3PM, we gave her 1 pepto pill. She finally ate at 5pm. 1 can with 1/2 cup of kibble but NOTHING again at 11PM.

This morning. NOTHING. BUT her poops were not the same. They were runny which tells us she was not being obstinate, her tummy is off. I had to leave for work and DH gave her another pepto.

Other than this, what should we be doing? Chicken and rice for dinner mixed in with a little Innova?

I just started her on the glucosomine. That wouldn't cause this, would it?

I will also back off of the missing link as I know that can cause loose poops.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Hollys2hounds

Sorry to hear Polli's tummy is acting up.

Not sure about the glucosomine.

Maybe try boiled chopped meat and a little rice. My two go crazy for it. (I have done chicken too, but they prefer just chopped meat). If she eats it, perhaps you can slowly add her regular food to it. Tonight I would stick to a bland diet, and start adding her food tomorrow.

Good luck, and kiss them all for me!

Robin, I would give her chopped meat (beef) with rice and no dog kibble or supplements or vitamins for a couple of days. See if she eats the food, you can try a bit of pumpkin mixed in; try a pepcid 1/2 hr before meal; try cheerios; or try boiled chicken & rice. I'm so sorry she's not doing well with the eating, she looked greyt on Saturday. I've been through the not eating a couple of times, but no, she can't afford to lose. Keep me posted please.

DH just called on his way in to work and said she pooped again right before he left. When he left her, he placed down some dry kibble, small pieces of chicken strips and a little water, as the others get KONGS, (all seperated) and she had her nose in it as he left.

Hopefully, that will be the end of it.

It could be a bug but she also had a heavy duty social weekend that could have caused her to be off.

Wait and see. Like everything else. Sigh.

Thanks!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

So now what? No glucosomine for the one dog whop really needs it!?

Sending my many prayers...I know how worried you are. We have never had a problem with upset tummies and the glucosamine...but I did change brands once and Angel Sophia had a horrible allergic reaction and she sneezed so much and so hard her little nose was bleeding. I only changed brands because they did not have the one I usually buy in stock...boy did I throw that away in a hurry. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Tenderhearts

Take her off of the missing link, especially if you are adding another glucosamine supplement. When my dogs needed something more than the maintenance dose of the Glycoflex III, the vet suggested going back to the higher loading dose on a permanent basis, but to watch for gastric distress/diarrhea.

Personally, I would also go back to a bland diet for a few days.

UPDATE:

When DH got home today, first of all she was with Beau and Chloe, which means she JUMPED on the 32" inch off floor bed and got over to the other side of the bed where they are.

With me she whines and asks me to pick her up!

So she hung out with them.

2) she had diarreah by my vanity. She has NEVER in the almost 3 weeks since we've had her, had an accident. She goes to the door and roos. So, her tummy was defintintely off.

3) while we were gone, DH gave her a handful of a sample dry food, innova tiny bite size kibble. It was all gone. I beleive it was her and not Beau or Chloe as DH saw her nose in it as he was leaving the house and Beau wouldn't jump onto her side of the bed becasue she would show her teeth (or what's left of them) and give a GRRRRRR. THEY BACK RIGHT OFF.

So, for dinner, I gave her a can of Duck innova, half a cup of white rice and 3/4 of a cup of the dry kibble. SHE ATE IT ALL. That is a lot of food.

DH is at the store buying the tiny kibble by innova right now. We would love to have her on kibble rather than the wet. We've been following her cues and she lets us know. I had been grinding up the pro plan for her and I have a ton of little bags made of ground up kibble!!! It's OK, I just want her to eat and to enjoy it would be nice too!

Robin,in what way does Polli need the glucosamine? :) I

I asked the vet if she needed it, he said all dogs should be on it in his HO.

So, I figured it couldn't hurt. Oh well. Once her tummy is back to normal, I will slowly introduce it in TINY doses.

I'm assuming she has been checked for worms that could be causing GI distress?

No worms, tested at the kennel right in front of me!

Take her off of the missing link, especially if you are adding another glucosamine supplement. When my dogs needed something

I took her off both for now. I will introduce one at a time, actually she was doing OK with the missing link for about a week already so I think its the glucosomine.

I will use what I have on the other 3 and get something different for her.

I have had a problem with some glucosamine causing runny poo, but have never had that problem with Fresh Factors and Joint Health. I hope feels better soon.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg